heddman headers on a 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

heddman headers on a 4.0

4x4hauler

Reaction score
City, State
erie pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
i got a kkm intake and flowmaster 40series exhaust with 2.5" pipeing on my 4.0ohv explorer, it sounds a hell of a lot better, but to me it still sounds like a v6 :thumbdwn:

if i would get heddman headers, a custom y pipe w/ 2.5" pipeing, and high flow cats, will i get more power and sound like a v8?

i know it wont gain 30hp or w/e i just want like 12+hp and 15+lb/ft

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It won't sound any different since you've already had the exhaust done. When I put my headers on, it actually allowed the truck to breather better, thus allowing me to reach my readline quicker. That allowed quicker take-offs and better all around performance.

Remember to disconnect the battery for a few minutes so the computer can remap the oxygen sensor parameters. It could take a few days until you notice a change...but you will notice!

I recommend you getting a better, higher quality set of hedders. Mine have thin flanges and the collectors constantly need tightening. Get some JBA, BBk, Gibson or equevilent type headers. You get what you pay for.

I'll have some Borla headers for sale in the next couple weeks.

Its never going to sound like a V-8 and the more you open up the exhaust the more torgue your going to lose.

You can try a Super 40 muffler, it's deeper. At lower RPM's my X sounds like a V8 with exhaust. A high flow cat would help too.

Higher RPM mine sounds v8-ish, but not totally..

I have a Ravin muffler. www.goravin.com Go to their site and look at the bench flow chart comparison. Ravin doesn't have the in cab resonance that flow master has at certian RPM's. Midas mufflers carries them.

2.5" pipe is large for the OHV 4.0L, its okay from the cat back, but there is no way your Y pipe should be that large.

borla and JBA are the only two I am aware of that make headers for your engine, the Borla's being the best.

the headers will help it breathe some more, I was never disapointed witht he sound of my 4.0L with a full cold air induction, MAF, TB, headers and full exhaust.
What you need to remember is you are only as good as your smallest bottleneck.

the best way to get the sound you are afyter is to remove the factory intake restrictions and choose a muffler that sounds best to you. I have a Pro Flo cheapo and it sounded great. I also have used Magnaflow and loved the sound.

410Fortune said:
...you are only as good as your smallest bottleneck...

I agree! A lot of people put large exhausts on and do nothing to get more air in!

i want to get atleast 20+hp and 30lb/ft out of my engine before i regear it, so when i go to 4.56 gears it will have a good amount of power.

so i was thinking about getting a bbk throttle body(everyone has them and seems to like them), 75mm mas, a performance chip, headers, 1 highflow cat.

what do you guys think about that setup?

I think the high flow cat is a waste of $$$ unless yours is bad, the stock units flow well, however reducing the stock resonator and cat down to a single cat is a good idea.

I think you will be pleased with the results from those mods.
There are other things to consider as well, plugs and wires and best bang for the $$$ is a cam

well guys i got a 66mm bbk throttle body and installed it 2 weeks ago, last weekend my local 4x4 club end up going down to the local 1/4 mile track, my time was 18.1 at 73mph, i had the 3rd slowest truck there! it sucks, i need to get this thing down to the low 16's high 15's, do you think by gettin 4.56 gears and some more bolt ons will take me down there

there are three cats all inline on the first gens. You only need one. And it will be a great investment. If they are the orgionals, then they need to be changed.
If you don't want to spend the money on headers, get some second gen manifolds. they flow better, and you can port them to flow better.
By the way, if you want more torque, change your gears first. It's cheap, and makes it easier on your tranny. You will notice later mods easier in the butt dyno. Just changing gears I bet you would shave a second or two on you 1/4.
Also pay attention and talk to sales guys about how your mods will effect torque. Alot of mods (like 2.5" pipes) make more HP at higher RPMS, but they also move your torque curve higher up the RPM scale. so you will have less in the low end. Toque is what gets you going, you want that at low RPM.
I would do this order, gears, custom exhaust with high flow cat and gen 2 manifolds (mild port maybe), TB & MAF, chip, maybe a Compcams, and maybe a mild port job on intake and heads (not to make them bigger, just flow better).
I emailed Bama chips and he said that the first gens don't benifit as well fron re-chipping as the later models. There is just less that he can do with them. because the software is better in the new ones.
"EEC4 is like comparing Windows 3.1 to Window's 2000, yes it can be used and work well but the new operating system is much better. They can be upgraded and used, heck I've got one guy making 284rwhp and 450rwtq from a OHV 4.0 in a 93' Ranger, but it's the wait that can kill ya.

Sorry, Doug."

so I'm just sticking with the Jet chips or something. They are cheaper and hit the fuel curve and ignition curve fine.

Back