Hello, have a 97 5.0 2wd and would like to make it 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello, have a 97 5.0 2wd and would like to make it 4x4

ExplorerDude33

Reaction score
City, State
Sky valley, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer xlt v8
Got a 95 explorer 4.0 eddie bauer 4x4. What can I interchange?
IMG_20201020_095602.jpg
95 4.0 eddie bauer 4x4
IMG_20201003_110446.jpg
IMG_20201003_110446.jpg

97 5.0 2wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to change a 5.0 RWD to 4x4 you will need:
different transmission, a new 4r70w that has a 4x4 tailhousing

You will then need a bw 4406 transfer case manual shift most likely, you will need one from a 96-97 F150 so that it has a speed sensor in the tail housing just like your 97 truck has now
The 98+ transfer cases do not have a speed sensor, you MUST get one with a speed sensor or you will be in for some custom work, wiring, custom parts, etc.
You will also need new driveshafts front and rear, they can come from a 4.6 or 5.4 F150...the rear shaft will likely need to be shortened

Nothing will interchange from that v6 truck, nothing drivetrain or 4x4 related anyways

That is the basics
There are plenty of others who have done this, you can search the 4406 4x4 conversion

good luck and nice truck!

Aren't the front diff/axles/knuckles the same for V6 and V8?

The front a arm looks about the same only difference on the 97 4x4 is it is a 2 piece and adjustable. Rock auto shows the same one as a replacement for the 95 5.0 2wd, are they interchangeable? I do want those aftermarket shocks that came with it.

Screenshot (1).png

***nevermind they also sell the one piece upper a-arm for the 97

to change a 5.0 RWD to 4x4 you will need:
different transmission, a new 4r70w that has a 4x4 tailhousing

You will then need a bw 4406 transfer case manual shift most likely, you will need one from a 96-97 F150 so that it has a speed sensor in the tail housing just like your 97 truck has now
The 98+ transfer cases do not have a speed sensor, you MUST get one with a speed sensor or you will be in for some custom work, wiring, custom parts, etc.
You will also need new driveshafts front and rear, they can come from a 4.6 or 5.4 F150...the rear shaft will likely need to be shortened

Nothing will interchange from that v6 truck, nothing drivetrain or 4x4 related anyways

That is the basics
There are plenty of others who have done this, you can search the 4406 4x4 conversion

good luck and nice truck!
That sounds like ALOT of work! :) ey nice things cost alot don't they! I am going to go through the suspension and try and make as dependable as possible. It is fun to drive just like that anyways. There is this ticking under load at 129k. I just gave it oil change and used 5w-30 but have since then found a TSB saying ford is back to recommending 5w-20 for the explorer. Anyone recommend changing it or waiting to its next oil change?

Add a rear locker and enjoy. That will get you pretty far in a 2wd. Maybe even farther then a standard 4wd. Way cheaper, just get a lunchbox locker.

Add a rear locker and enjoy. That will get you pretty far in a 2wd. Maybe even farther then a standard 4wd. Way cheaper, just get a lunchbox locker.
Does it matter if the rear differential is limited slip or open?

Does it matter if the rear differential is limited slip or open?

If your doing a lunchbox, yes. The carrier is different for each, and locker will not fit. L/S are easier to come by.

If your doing a lunchbox, yes. The carrier is different for each, and locker will not fit. L/S are easier to come by.
The info is appreciated, I am new to ford or vehicles in general. developing a tool addiction :)

The front suspension and drive/diff etc, is the same for the V6's, only the odd early disconnect front diff, is not usable with the 302(they stopped making it for the 96 when the 302 came out(oil pan interference)).

Your V8 trans can be used but only if you R&R it and take it apart, and install a 4WD output shaft, and the short tail housing. Those two parts are the only difference from a 2WD to 4WD 4R70W, but it all has to come apart to change it. Keep an eye out for a 96-01 302/AWD Explorer, you could buy that trans and AWD TC, and swap those in, with the two drive shafts(the 98-01 trans has slightly different wiring at the harness(easy to move terminals around)).

Found out my 97 5.0 came with a d4 Limited Slip 3.73. Thanks to another poster that explained how to read codes on the door jam.
Does this mean I don't need a Lunchbox Locker? or

All of the 5.0 Explorers came with the LS 3.73's, everyone reports that. So you just need to replace the clutches in it, and do new axle seals and bearings, parking brake pads while in there too.

I got a LS clutch kit from an Advance Auto last Spring to do mine, I forgot the brand now. I found it while searching the clutches, I'll get to doing mine this year. This kit had more clutches then a the normal/OEM six(three per side). Most people know that you can install four per side if you arrange the clutches friction/steel etc, and not two steels together like stock. I did that with two OEM kits in my old 93 diff, it lasted longer than the stock six clutch setup. This new kit I got I think had eight in it, an extra one per side. So at $85ish, it was cheaper than some of the OEM kits($80-$130), and it only takes the one kit to get the added clutch pair.

All of the 5.0 Explorers came with the LS 3.73's, everyone reports that. So you just need to replace the clutches in it, and do new axle seals and bearings, parking brake pads while in there too.

I got a LS clutch kit from an Advance Auto last Spring to do mine, I forgot the brand now. I found it while searching the clutches, I'll get to doing mine this year. This kit had more clutches then a the normal/OEM six(three per side). Most people know that you can install four per side if you arrange the clutches friction/steel etc, and not two steels together like stock. I did that with two OEM kits in my old 93 diff, it lasted longer than the stock six clutch setup. This new kit I got I think had eight in it, an extra one per side. So at $85ish, it was cheaper than some of the OEM kits($80-$130), and it only takes the one kit to get the added clutch pair.
Is it something like this?
Screenshot (6).png

That sounds right, and the price is close, Motive is a good company. I have the small brown box out in my garage in my 99 somewhere. If the application info is correct and says for an 8.8, that should work for all 8.8's.

That sounds right, and the price is close, Motive is a good company. I have the small brown box out in my garage in my 99 somewhere. If the application info is correct and says for an 8.8, that should work for all 8.8's.
Found this complete kit on rockauto, you think this is a better buy?

Attachments

• Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    372.7 KB · Views: 62

Those are actual diff, rebuild kits. You shouldn't need any of that unless part of the diff are damaged, like pitted gears etc. Axle bearings are found near that under Explorer on Rock Auto. They are a great source if you can find things in their system, it's good for part number searching to, or get the # there and look outside to say Amazon. Different places will have different pricing, and ship times etc.

FYI, eBay now charges sales taxes, so that will hurt eBay's business.

I will be hunting for a set of tires soon again, I used to always check on eBay to see if the total costs are less there, and often they were. The best price I found for these tires was $1127, and were on eBay too. But the direct site of the seller, out of my state, still charges no sales taxes. So I can save around $110 by not buying through eBay, guess what that means for eBay?

Is the wheel bearing kit and the differential repair kit the same parts?

FYI, eBay now charges sales taxes, so that will hurt eBay's business.

I will be hunting for a set of tires soon again, I used to always check on eBay to see if the total costs are less there, and often they were. The best price I found for these tires was $1127, and were on eBay too. But the direct site of the seller, out of my state, still charges no sales taxes. So I can save around $110 by not buying through eBay, guess what that means for eBay?
They lose BUSINESS. I also like to stretch my dollar sir. It USED to be the sellers due diligence to charge applicable sales tax and out of state purchases would obviously not incur buyers tax. Ebay was WAY funner before when you would buy something out of state at a good price then get those sweet ebay BUCKS! ha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Walmart dot com I have found is good for tire prices. Probably not off road tires though.

Back