• Register Today It's free!

help - 1.25" or 2" hitch?

99EBEXP

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddie Bauer
I have been wanting to install a hitch to my 99 Explorer v6 4wd.

I want to be able to carry portable cargo carrier if needed on trips, and a bike rack. I don't foresee the need to tow anything.

At the local u-haul they offer a class II 1.25" hitch, or a class III 2" hitch.

Am I better off buying the class III 2" hitch? Are there more accessories available for the 2" hitch compared to the 1.25" hitch?

U-Haul stated even if I got the class III 2" hitch, they would not be able to rent trailers to me. I'm guessing due to our Explorer's infamous Firestone debacle and tendency to roll over from that...

Any advice or tips on which one I should get?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your going to use hitch carriers you need the Class III 2". Noone makes carriers for the 1.25" and a class II is not strong enough if you plan to put some real weight on it.
BTW, you can buy a hitch somewhere other than u-haul. I got a reese SUV universal hitch at tractor supply co. It was around $200 for the hitch, ball, tongue, and pin. And it looks great, bolted up without any problems. It dosen't hang below the bumper or look funky.

I agree with the 2".
All of our vehicles have a 2" hitch, even my wife's mini van. There are a lot more accessories available without having to use an adaptor.
Also a larger selection of hitch covers are available for the 2"

I also agree with using someone beside U-Haul if available in your area.

Just my opinion.

I agree with the 2".
All of our vehicles have a 2" hitch, even my wife's mini van. There are a lot more accessories available without having to use an adaptor.
Also a larger selection of hitch covers are available for the 2"

I also agree with using someone beside U-Haul if available in your area.

Just my opinion.

The 2" is also standard in mine. I bought lots of accessories for towing online and most of them are compatible with the 2". U-Haul is not your only option for hauling stuff. There are lots of other companies like Budget that also offer that kind of service.

1.25" to 2" adapters are available.

Any one know why uhaul will not rent there trailers to us guys with ex.? I have pulled many trailers and cars behind my ex with no problem. But one time when my cousin needed her cars towed back home after breaking down out of town she called to rent one of the tow dollies and they would not let me pick it up with my ex. The guy behind the counter just said that there computer says that the ex is not rated to tow there trailers but he didnt know why.

But a 1.25 is weaker, and why spend the money on an adapter? Which also adds length and the op probably doesn't want the hitch carrier sticking out even more

to above poster, use google or the search button. It's been discussed ALOT

Any one know why uhaul will not rent there trailers to us guys with ex.? I have pulled many trailers and cars behind my ex with no problem. But one time when my cousin needed her cars towed back home after breaking down out of town she called to rent one of the tow dollies and they would not let me pick it up with my ex. The guy behind the counter just said that there computer says that the ex is not rated to tow there trailers but he didnt know why.

It's becasue of the Firestone fiasco. Ford pulled U-Haul into the law suit because in one of the accidents someone was pulling a U-Haul trailer. U-Haul didn't like Ford putting the blame on them so now they will not rent to Explorer owners. They will however rent to Mountaineer owners because U-Haul is to stupid to know they are the same vehicle.

Buy the biggest hitch you can afford.

Back