HELP - 2013 Ford Explorer starting system fault | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP - 2013 Ford Explorer starting system fault

zd500

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Base
Hi folks,

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer AWD base model. It was working fine last night but this morning when I tried to start the car, it wouldn't. The error message is "starting system fault". In addition, both the interior and exterior lights are not working, and neither are the power door locks (even when pressing the lock/unlock button on the door panel). Power seat adjustment works, and so do the radio/CD, fans and cigarette lighters. I replaced the battery but it didn't help. I also visually inspected every fuse, all look fine. Any suggestions? I am on a road trip and now am stranded in a small town in Oregon. The nearest Ford dealership is about 40 miles away.

I think it is likely something trivial, something is broken in the circuit that supplies power to those components (lights, door locks, etc.) that are not working.

Thanks in advance for any pointers you can give.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Sorry to read about your situation. Are able to get the vehicle scanned for possible trouble codes? That might help isolate the problem.
The odd thing is that all the items you mentioned seem to have their own fuses/relays. Are there any other garages around? If so, perhaps check with them.
BTW, this is what your manual says about a battery replacement;
"After battery replacement, or in
some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the BMS
requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time (key off with doors closed) to
relearn the new battery state of charge. Prior to relearning state of
charge, the BMS may disable electrical features (to protect the battery)
earlier than normal."

Peter

Thanks Peter for your response.

I only have a very basic ODB2 reader. It shows no code. There are garages nearby but it's weekend now, no shop is open in this small town. I will have my car towed to a garage or dealership tomorrow if the problem is not resolved.

So far I tested all relays by switching around so that each connects to some working component and the component remained working after the switch. I also tested all the fuses that protect the components that received no power and visually inspected the rest. Everything looked fine. I also checked possible loose connections around fuse box and power distribution box. Lastly I got a new battery for my key fob just in case.

The action taken by BMS that you mentioned is a possibility. Maybe sensing deteriorating battery condition, it shut down power supply to some of the components. But it's been almost 24 hours since the battery was replaced, whatever was not working remains as such. I will try to reset BMS to see if it makes any difference. Anyone knows how to do it without the ForScan tool?

Well things took a turn for the worse. Now under 24 hours after battery replacement, the new battery is dying. I may have tried to crank it 25-30 times over this period, but to drain a brand new battery this fast is surprising. I also have a USB power bank jump starter from Costco. After I hooked it up, in less than 2 minutes, it went from 5/5 to 3/5. So there got be some kind of short circuit in the car's electrical system. It's not enough to blow a fuse but the current is rather high.

Guess I will get my car towed tomorrow...

Back