System Start Fault | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm having the same problem with my explorer. It has just hit 8000 miles and Sunday morning all it did was click when I went to start it. Put a battery charger on it and it fired right up. I let it run for about 30 min to charge the battery. Tried to start it Monday morning and all I got was the clicking again. I'm kind of afraid to drive it to the dealer, maybe I should have it towed? Help me out guys, I know you have the answers!!! Thanks in advance.

Hi whiskey00,

Any news about your truck? If you need it, Roadside Assistance can be contacted at 1-800-241-3673. Additionally, I'm happy to do what I can to help. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll research some options.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 Explorer Randomly Doesn't Start

New here. I have a 2013 Explorer, 27k miles. Since January, it is randomly not starting. Ford had put in a new fuel pump twice. The 4th time it hasn't started, they are stumped why it isn't starting. It has been in the shop for 2 weeks and they are trying to recreate - not starting.
I filed a case w/Ford on 5/2. We want the root of the problem found, or a new vehicle. They never called back in the 2 business days, so I called again this morning. Now the person assigned to our case needs to call me back within 1 business day.
I'm a nervous wreck. I can't have a vehicle that randomly doesn't start. I have little kids that cannot be home by themselves.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm trying follow protocol, but my patience is starting to wear thin. I just want this resolved. We don't have the $ to just trade in a buy another new vehicle. Thanks.

Could be a loose connection to the starter? Is the starter cranking at all?

What about the type of gas you put in or gas station you use? I had an experience where a gas station really did water down their fuel to rip people off and the gas basically had no power and they were shut down immediately when people found out. Caused a whole lot of issues with starting etc.

I am guessing, if they have gone through 2 pumps, it has to be an electrical problem down the line.

New here. I have a 2013 Explorer, 27k miles. Since January, it is randomly not starting. Ford had put in a new fuel pump twice. The 4th time it hasn't started, they are stumped why it isn't starting. It has been in the shop for 2 weeks and they are trying to recreate - not starting.
I filed a case w/Ford on 5/2. We want the root of the problem found, or a new vehicle. They never called back in the 2 business days, so I called again this morning. Now the person assigned to our case needs to call me back within 1 business day.
I'm a nervous wreck. I can't have a vehicle that randomly doesn't start. I have little kids that cannot be home by themselves.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm trying follow protocol, but my patience is starting to wear thin. I just want this resolved. We don't have the $ to just trade in a buy another new vehicle. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum ohiofarmgirl. :wavey:
It would be very helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it show in the left margin when you post. That way the membership will know which model you are discussing. Some models use a keyed ignition while others have a push to start button.

Peter

I am guessing, if they have gone through 2 pumps, it has to be an electrical problem down the line.

After the 2nd fuel pump, that is what we were thinking too. However, dealership said they ran a complete "diagnostic" on the vehicle and everything turned out okay.

We thought of the gas issue too, but we buy gas from the same 3 places for both our vehicles.

This is so frustrating. Just talked to Ford Regional Representative and she said if dealership cannot recreate the problem, they will return the vehicle to us. They have had it for 2 weeks and have not been able to. The problem has been recreated - 4 times! She will be talking to the dealership on Friday as well as me.

After the 2nd fuel pump, that is what we were thinking too. However, dealership said they ran a complete "diagnostic" on the vehicle and everything turned out okay.

We thought of the gas issue too, but we buy gas from the same 3 places for both our vehicles.

This is so frustrating. Just talked to Ford Regional Representative and she said if dealership cannot recreate the problem, they will return the vehicle to us. They have had it for 2 weeks and have not been able to. The problem has been recreated - 4 times! She will be talking to the dealership on Friday as well as me.

You know... There was an airbag light issue that came about because of a loose connection/ bad harness and many others had the same problem. Luckily, my dealer is very reliable so whenever I have an issue, they find it immediately. I'd have your dealer look at the electrical stuff again, but if they can't fix it, then it looks like you got a lemon.

Man I wish Ford of Canada was as forgiving...we have no lemon laws here..and I have had 9 warranty claim issues with my Explorer ..now my sunroof does not work..

Man I wish Ford of Canada was as forgiving...we have no lemon laws here..and I have had 9 warranty claim issues with my Explorer ..now my sunroof does not work..
We have the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan; http://www.camvap.ca/

Peter

2015 ford explorer starting system fault

I have a 2015 ford explorer xlt and it will not start. On the dash it said starting system fault. Because it's Saturday night nothing is open and I can't get my car started. I need to know if there is anything that I can do to stat it.

janet, from doing a quick google search, it may be related to the key fob. Can you try to use the second key that came with car for now? If not, keep trying to start with that key fob, maybe put it in different locations? Maybe plug it into the slot that you would use of the fob battery is dead?

janet, from doing a quick google search, it may be related to the key fob. Can you try to use the second key that came with car for now? If not, keep trying to start with that key fob, maybe put it in different locations? Maybe plug it into the slot that you would use of the fob battery is dead?
I could be mistaken but I don't think the XLT has a key fob.

Peter

I could be mistaken but I don't think the XLT has a key fob.

Peter

gotcha, didn't see that. It was from a f150 site but thought it would help. Guess not. Hope they got it running

I have a 2015 ford explorer xlt and it will not start. On the dash it said starting system fault. Because it's Saturday night nothing is open and I can't get my car started. I need to know if there is anything that I can do to stat it.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
I have merged your thread with an existing one on the same issue. In reading some of the posts, it looks like it might have to be a dealer fix.
Can you activate any of the features that the key controls?

Peter

I had the same issue. I Used the spare key and it started right up

I had the same issue. I Used the spare key and it started right up
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Perhaps it's time to change the battery in the other fob. It would be helpful also if you added the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc) to your profile so it appears in the margin.:thumbsup:

Peter

I had the same fault. I changed the batteries in my keys and it started right up. Hoping there's nothing more to it.

Back