Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Explorer XLT V6, Ironm
VEHICLE : 2007 Ford Explorer XLT V6 4.0
TRANSMISSION : 5R55S

ISSUE
: Delayed Shifting (1st / Reverse / Downshifting into 1st)

Hoping someone here is fairly knowledgeable with the 5R55S and can help me diagnose & narrow down the steps I need to take in order to fix the issues.

Thankfully there is a ton of information online for the 5R55S, and I've been doing a lot of research into the common failures of this model transmission. Unfortunately the specific problems I've been experiencing are slightly different than what I've been able to find online.

Detailed Info:
I bought the vehicle a couple years ago and it's always had a issue shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It slips unless you feather the throttle at the rite time. (obd2 code: P0745) I do not believe these issues are related though...

Now for the past month or so when the engine is cold and not up to temp, it's having a issue with delayed shifting and has gotten progressively worse. When it first started it would be delayed going from "park to 1st" and into reverse for a couple seconds...

Recently it has gotten worse and now won't shift from "park to 1st" or reverse unless revved up slightly, to about 1500 RPM's or so. If you stay on the throttle and keep the RPM's high enough it stays engaged. But if you just take it easy and don't stay on the throttle it will disengage again and won't re-engage until you raise the RPM's again... ***AGAIN THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD AND NOT UPTO TEMP***

Also if your just driving along and you slow down abruptly and come to a complete stop, it will not downshift properly and after being stopping for a few seconds it will then shift ruff into 1st. (this started happening at the same time as the previous issue)

My thoughts / diagnoses:
After doing some research, I've read at a few different places that this could be caused by-

1. The transmission being low on tranny fluid. If the fluid is just low enough it will not engage the torque converter until you raise the RPMs and it can build enough pressure... ( but if it's low on fluid, wouldn't it happened all the time and not only when the engine is cold?)

2. Possibly a faulty solenoid pack. If the solenoids are worn out they could have a hard time operating properly when the transmission fluid is cold and thicker and as the fluid gets hotter and thinner they can then operate better/properly.

Unfortunately I can't just pull the dipstick and check the transmission fluid level due to Ford's infinite wisdom to not include one on this model. So I just purchased a couple of quarts of OEM Motorcraft Mercon V transmission fluid, oil suction gun, and the fill adapter in order to at least check and make sure the transmission has the correct amount of fluid.

*** Thank you for taking the time to read my post. If you have any ideas or able to help I would greatly appreciate it. I don't have the money to just randomly throw Parts at the problem and Hope it fixes it...***

The fluid will expand when it gets hot so the level will rise as it heats up.

Delayed engagements mostly when cold is a classic example of a low fluid condition.

Always check and adjust transmission fluid when at operating temperature.

If the fluid level is low it most likely will have a leak make sure you check the cooler line connections at the radiator its a common spot.

The fluid will expand when it gets hot so the level will rise as it heats up.

Delayed engagements mostly when cold is a classic example of a low fluid condition.

Always check and adjust transmission fluid when at operating temperature.

If the fluid level is low it most likely will have a leak make sure you check the cooler line connections at the radiator its a common spot.
Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately I was unable to check the fluid Level this past weekend but it is on the list for this coming weekend!

Also I believe the trans cooler is separate from the radiator on this vehicle correct?

Back