Help Interior color match impossible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Interior color match impossible?

I just bought my first Explorer. Needs some minor work like the driver's side door panel is busted.Found one at a scrap yard but it's gray and mine is "some shade of red." Thought I would paint it as I've done that before, but since I live in a small town there are not too many places that sell the paint and there's not a lot of choices for colors. There's cherry red and a brownish color. What I need is those two colors mixed together to make a match for my interior. So I'm thinking about painting everything black as that seems to be a color the stores have cases of. My question is " How will that look if my seats and carpet are red and everything else that's paintable is black?" I just can't picture how it will look. Maybe someone can tell me the things to paint and the things to leave alone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think I could live with red interior... although I've been through many interior colors for sure.

:rolleyes:

But if I were you I don't think I would go all black at this time. I bet your seats and dashboard are red as well... are you painting those too?

There are specialty trim paints in gray, black and tan. I don't think any of those would look good on your truck combined with red interior... unless...

unless you just paint the door panels in like dark gray and leave the rest red...

good luck!

oh yeah! Welcome to the board!

Welcome, and you should be able to find a correct interior paint match, from the big parts chains like NAPA.

You might also check on eBay, a seller had a lot of brand new door panels for about $50 each, shipped. That was 2-3 months ago, I bought three Limited door panels for under $200 total. Regards,

@Dre
I actually found a color that is pretty darn close today. I'm going to use that and if it looks tacky then I'll keep searching for a red one at every scrap yard near me.
@CDW6212R
NAPA was the first place I went and they didn't have anything close to the color and the guy who I asked looked at me like I was crazy.I don't know if it was because I was painting a door panel or because I'm a woman...maybe it was both. I'm not a big fan of ebay either but it never hurts to look. Thanks.

What I found on eBay was like a lot of parts seller, extra parts from old dealerships. There were not any matching sets, but most colors were there for door panels.

I've never painted interior panels, but I have read many times that most factory colors are available. If needed I'd contact the paint companies to see about a match, but in the end red is a hard color top deal with.

" in the end red is a hard color to deal with "...You're telling me!! Every vehicle I've owned has had a gray or tan interior, not hard to deal with. I painted the door panel and now I'm waiting for it to dry. So I'll have to wait to see how cheesy it looks...lol

Back