• Register Today It's free!

Help! Please answer dumb question

djuranko

Reaction score
City, State
El Monte, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hello all. I an a newbie here and I need help. I would like to change my own oil on my 2003 Explorer. This might seem like a dumb question but.....Where is the oil plug located? I can't tell where the oil pan is. My mustang is easy. I see two possible bolts. 1 is located just below the oil filter. This one is the same size and shape bolt as on my mustang but the "pan" looks very shallow and the bolt is very tight. 2. The other is more toward the center of the truck. It's a big bolt, on a pan that looks more like a oil pan, but the bolt is a normal bolt with no flange. Sorry guys, I must sound pretty bad but better to ask and get the right answer. If any has pics or guides that they can share that would be very helpful.

Thanks

Doris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no such thing as a dumb question only dumb people. dont know about the 02 explorer but i will say DONT USE A FRAM FILTER!!!! they really suck. atleast get a motorcraft one.

Well, at least I got that right! I did uy a Motorcraft filter. Any help on the drain plug location?

it should be somewhere on the actual engine at a low point. but i cant really say much more . shouldnt be too far from the filter either.

hold up let me dip into my haynes book ill upload some pix ina bit...

Thanks YB. I think it is under the oil filter but it is on very tight. The pan looks black and is very shallow, thats why I am a bit confused.

looks like its right next to the starter. Which engine do you have?

I have a V6 4.0

Dead center on the engine close to the starter. Black pan, not too deep.

Thank you Kevin. I thought it was that one but the bolt is really tight so I wanted to make sure. Thanks all. I have to get to work!

oh ok then never mind. its almost like the first gen one.

Yep dead center black pan, Bolt hangs 45 degrees down and to the left if i recall. Really the only possible bolt you could loosen for this type of activity, the Tranny is sealed.

Anybody find these things are HORRIBLE to change the oil on? Simple to replace the filter and drain but they splash EVERYWHERE and it runs all over the steering arms. I put down a old sheet of plywood and a LOT of newspaper and find that i can never put the oil pan in the right spot to catch it all. There ought to be a better way!

Back