• Register Today It's free!

dumb oil question...but

Ichiban5

Reaction score
City, State
Ashburn, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Where exactly is the oil drain plug on a 2003 explorer??
I've done oil changes before, but on euro and japanese cars, but this is my first SUV...I've read a lot of posts and seen pics but none really clarified...
is it the pan directly in the middle or is it the one that's near the oil filter??

If it's the middle, it looks like someone manufactured a drain plug. it looks like a hex bolt with a nut on the end.
The main reason i ask is that i went ahead and drained the mid pan but it actually look redish like tranny fluid...
any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. I am going COMPLETELY off recollection here, but IIRC the oil filter is at the rear of the engine, up, and on the passenger side. With that said, IIRC, the oil drain plug should be down and slightly forward of the oil filter. Again, I believe its on the passenger side of the vehicle. I can't quite remember if it drains towards the rear or the passenger side, but i believe its to the rear.

I can answer for the 4.6 L V8 (I didn't see where you identified what engine yours has).

For the V8, it is a 16mm hex plug on the rear vertical section of the oil pan, close to the bottom. That is to say the plug is horizontal and points aft.

The transmission drain plug is 22mm (if memory serves), has a 8mm (or so) hex plug in its center), and is in the center of the transmission pan, pointing down.

If the fluid that came out is reddish, you may not have drained out oil, but tranny fluid.

I can answer for the 4.6 L V8 (I didn't see where you identified what engine yours has).

For the V8, it is a 16mm hex plug on the rear vertical section of the oil pan, close to the bottom. That is to say the plug is horizontal and points aft.

The transmission drain plug is 22mm (if memory serves), has a 8mm (or so) hex plug in its center), and is in the center of the transmission pan, pointing down.

If the fluid that came out is reddish, you may not have drained out oil, but tranny fluid.

mine is actually V6. but from what you just said, looks like it's the same...and looks like i just drained the tranny :eek:
Then my next question would be how do i add the fluid back in because it dripped dry so i REALLY don't want to drive it...
Also, can someone post a pic of where the oil plug is? I think i got it from the description Rhino gave, but now, i REALLY wanna be sure...

mine is actually V6. but from what you just said, looks like it's the same...and looks like i just drained the tranny :eek:
Then my next question would be how do i add the fluid back in because it dripped dry so i REALLY don't want to drive it...
Also, can someone post a pic of where the oil plug is? I think i got it from the description Rhino gave, but now, i REALLY wanna be sure...

You'd be smart in not driving with any tranny fluid!

On the 3rd gens, there is no dipstick for the trans, so you need to add fluid up through the hole you drained. Ford calls it a sealed unit that doesnt require more fluid. Leave it to ford to complicate this so much. If your trans starts to leak, you'll need to fix that leak asap cause adding more fluid is not as simple as pouring it down the dipstick tube.

There is a special took that you insert, and then pump the fluid up into the trans. You'll know when its full because excess will drain back out.

Some on this board have made their own tool, I cant find the thread at the moment. Hopefully someone else will respond with a more technical answer but basically you have to put the fluid back up through the same hole.

I mean no offense, but this must be new to you as you should be able to tell the motor from the trans from under the vehicle.
We all started somewhere and Im no expert either. But mistakes are the best way to learn, because you wont make this one again.

Thanks Curtis. I saw where someone used a funnel, but where he put it was almost at an angle. mine is directly on the bottom of the pan. that seems a bit difficult even with a tool.

Thanks Curtis. I saw where someone used a funnel, but where he put it was almost at an angle. mine is directly on the bottom of the pan. that seems a bit difficult even with a tool.

Yeah you need a some type of a fluid pump to push the fluid up.
Im not sure exactly what to use, I havnt done a tranny fluid change myself yet on this explorer.

I Think the tranny has a factory fill hole on the right side of it.

You could disconnect your cooler line and fill it up that way ( way i do it). TO check your level you will pull out the small plug from tranny pan and see if any fluid drips out. This needs to be done with engine running. So add as many quarts as you drained and maybe 1 or 2 extra (into the top hard line of tranny), run the engine, pull plug and allow all extra to drip out (truck must be level)

here link to tranny flush and fill

You could disconnect your cooler line and fill it up that way ( way i do it). TO check your level you will pull out the small plug from tranny pan and see if any fluid drips out. This needs to be done with engine running.

Since he has driped the trans dry, Id get some fluid in there before you start it and try to add it though a cooler line.

You could disconnect your cooler line and fill it up that way ( way i do it). TO check your level you will pull out the small plug from tranny pan and see if any fluid drips out. This needs to be done with engine running.

ok. i think i understand where you're talking about...
SO...are there 2 pans for the Tranny?? front and rear (center)? The pan i drained the fluid from was in the center of the truck

ok. i think i understand where you're talking about...
SO...are there 2 pans for the Tranny?? front and rear (center)? The pan i drained the fluid from was in the center of the truck

You have one pan for tranny and the pan is located under the center of the truck. You have transmission lines that run to the front of the truck to a cooler. The tranny has 2 lines coming out of it. They are metal lines and connect to the rubber lines of the cooler. You can disconnect the top hard line and connect a small fill hose there. You can then pump in tranny fluid with much ease and little mess.
Do you have a manual for your truck?

Remember fill as much as you taken out before you start it for a level check!!!!!!

You have one pan for tranny and the pan is located under the center of the truck. You have transmission lines that run to the front of the truck to a cooler. The tranny has 2 lines coming out of it. They are metal lines and connect to the rubber lines of the cooler. You can disconnect the top hard line and connect a small fill hose there. You can then pump in tranny fluid with much ease and little mess.
Do you have a manual for your truck?

Remember fill as much as you taken out before you start it for a level check!!!!!!

i'll have to look at it again. but im starting to understand...I would expect such complication from an import not an american car...lol
This is where i drained from...
attachment.php

so is THIS the oil drain?
attachment.php

yep thats the oil drain...

Think I see tranny hard lines in that picture... fill through the top line.

yep thats the oil drain...

Think I see your tranny hard lines in that picture... fill through the top line.

I see the cat in the back is like "hope he didn't drain the tranny instead of engine"

LMAO...ok...now we're cookin...Thanks guys I REALLY appreciate the help
i rode my bike into work today just to be on the safe side...thank goodness it was a great day today :D

LMAO...ok...now we're cookin...Thanks guys I REALLY appreciate the help
i rode my bike into work today just to be on the safe side...thank goodness it was a great day today :D

You know since you have the tranny pan drained, why don't you go ahead and drop it and change the filter?

Glad its sorted out...Keep us posted.

No problem thats what we are here for. :thumbsup:

You know since you have the tranny pan drained, why don't you go ahead and drop it and change the filter?

Glad its sorted out...Keep us posted.

No problem thats what we are here for. :thumbsup:

because that would make too much sense...lol
excellent idea...Then i can even fill it up partially that way...:thumbsup:

No sweat, dude - no harm done since your questioning attitude drove you to ask the right questions and keep you from making a costly mistake. That first picture of yours is the tranny pan, so you did drain out tranny fluid. Be sure that you do not start the engine until you refill that sucker!

Given that the vehicle is new to you, I say, what the heck, drop the tranny pan, replace the filter, reinstall the pan, and top off the tranny fluid. Given that these trannies can have some (expensive) repair issues, your 'mistake' might actually be a blessing. Might just be the biggest money-saving mistanke you ever made.

The while you're under there, change the oil. :confused:

FWIW, do a search, there a lots of threads on refilling these trannies, also, take a look in the transmission forums section - there are some no kidding major transmission geniuses that hang out over there (Glacier 991 and Brooklyn Bay come to mind). Refilling is a minor PITA since there is no dipstick tube, but not really all that bad.

See that allen screw in the center of your tranny drain plug? That is the aperture through which you refill these units - I kid you not. You can either buy a special tool (like 20 bux) or take your plug down to the hardware store and buy a small brass fitting that will screw up into it and has saw-toothed ferrules over which you slide a refill hose (that's what I did).

Then I bought a cheap $5 plastic pump at Checker Auto that screws into a one quart bottle that discharges through a clear hose that fits on the brass fitting, and pumped fluid back into mine until it was full (remember that you have to check it hot, so it means that you refill it cold at first until it overflows, then start the engine and let it warm up all the while adding more fluid until it is at running temp and overflowing, then take out your adapter and intall the factory allen screw plug. That's all.

Not that bad, but be careful and follow all safety precautions. (and watch out for the exhaust pipe - I still have a pink mark on my arm from the second-degree burn).

Good Luck, and BTW, the folks here are very helpful and extremely smart on Explorers.

No sweat, dude - no harm done since your questioning attitude drove you to ask the right questions and keep you from making a costly mistake. That first picture of yours is the tranny pan, so you did drain out tranny fluid. Be sure that you do not start the engine until you refill that sucker!

Given that the vehicle is new to you, I say, what the heck, drop the tranny pan, replace the filter, reinstall the pan, and top off the tranny fluid. Given that these trannies can have some (expensive) repair issues, your 'mistake' might actually be a blessing. Might just be the biggest money-saving mistanke you ever made.

The while you're under there, change the oil. :confused:

FWIW, do a search, there a lots of threads on refilling these trannies, also, take a look in the transmission forums section - there are some no kidding major transmission geniuses that hang out over there (Glacier 991 and Brooklyn Bay come to mind). Refilling is a minor PITA since there is no dipstick tube, but not really all that bad.

See that allen screw in the center of your tranny drain plug? That is the aperture through which you refill these units - I kid you not. You can either buy a special tool (like 20 bux) or take your plug down to the hardware store and buy a small brass fitting that will screw up into it and has saw-toothed ferrules over which you slide a refill hose (that's what I did).

Then I bought a cheap $5 plastic pump at Checker Auto that screws into a one quart bottle that discharges through a clear hose that fits on the brass fitting, and pumped fluid back into mine until it was full (remember that you have to check it hot, so it means that you refill it cold at first until it overflows, then start the engine and let it warm up all the while adding more fluid until it is at running temp and overflowing, then take out your adapter and intall the factory allen screw plug. That's all.

Not that bad, but be careful and follow all safety precautions. (and watch out for the exhaust pipe - I still have a pink mark on my arm from the second-degree burn).

Good Luck, and BTW, the folks here are very helpful and extremely smart on Explorers.

Great advice!
Even I learned something!

Great advice!
Even I learned something!

Indeed :thumbsup: Definitely much appreciated Rhino. I'm getting the filter and gasket today. I saw the refill tool, but i like your helpful hint as well...
I should be done by this after noon...And yeah, I will still change the oil as well...lol :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is some very good advice and instruction here!! Like was previously mentioned, it's always better to ask questions when you're unsure instead of making an expensive mistake.

Next time, ask first, though:D.

On that note, don't feel bad.... I had my Mustang tranny rebuilt when I was rebuilding the rest of it. Cost about $600 altogether (great Mustang guy locally). I got it installed and all back together and went cruising around. All of a sudden, BOOM, and the rear tires lock up. Turned out to be a blown tranny...I forgot to add fluid after I reinstalled it:mad: Definitely the worst and dumbest car mistake I ever made. I checked the next one 3 times before I drove it....

Back