HELP! Replaced my X-fer case a month ago, now CLUTCH is going... i think... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! Replaced my X-fer case a month ago, now CLUTCH is going... i think...

tpstaples

Reaction score
City, State
grafton, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Hey everyone..

So a while back i had to swap out my transfer case on my 91 explorer 4x4.. now.. i think my clutch is gone. I've got an automatic.

So here's the symptoms: Any advice, or if anyone can confirm my diagnosis that would be cool.

When in park, shift into Drive... hit the gas... nothing happens.. RPM's rev up but the truck doesn't go anywhere/doesn't shift into drive. When i let the rpms go down to idle, then the truck will shift into drive and go.. but not until then.

While driving, it seems it wont slip. BUT, if going up a hill and the truck has to shift into a lower gear, it seems to slip. Maybe cause it's going from low rev to high rev thus making it not catch?

Another note is, this truck sat for about 2 years before i got it back on the road about half a year ago. The transmission fluid in it is still the same from when it was sitting. Maybe that's playing a role? do you think i transmission fluid flush would do the trick? or does it sound like my clutch has just had it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You sir have an automatic transmission, there is no perse clutch in it, you would need a manual to have a clutch.

I would recomend you have a transmission shop look at it.

Jeff - :navajo:

doh! i was hoping not to hear that.. so what could it be? any ideas?

Change the fluid, that might help.

i was considering that..

So i drove it around tonight (it's actually my girlfriend's vehicle that i'm loaning her for the time being so i dont drive it very often)....

it seems it ONLY slips when going into gear from park. Reverse goes into gear a lot quicker than Drive or Overdrive (D with a circle around it).

So i'm at a loss as to what that might be. I'm thinking of draining the fluid and replacing it this weekend.. maybe send it to a good transmission place for a free diagnosis of what the problem coudl be and take it from there.

Also, after driving it around tonight i noticed a grinding/grumbling noise coming from the front right tire when turning left..

does this ever stop!??????????

dude you got an A4LD

They start doing pretty much what you said

and they die

i would reccomend getting the mazda 5speed for our year explorers... when your automatic goes

it might not be too much out of the yunkyard

they dont have to be rebuilt as often but the slave cylinder/clutch assembley seems to be crap on these cars... ive replaced mine twice since ive owned it...

ive put 76k since ive owned it

The first clutch i had in there was the stock one, it went at about 110k

The second clutch i had in there went only for 20k at 130k it got replaced

now at 176k its' still running pretty nice. i probably wasnt driving it right =)

Pull your vacuum hoses off of the tee on the driver's side of the engine and check if there's ATF in them. You may be low on fluid due to a bad modulator valve.

why would their be ATF in my vacuum line? that's confusing to me.. can you explain further jag?

I was going to check my fluid level probably this weekend..

the only way to check the level is to climb under the truck and take out that bolt and stick your finger in right? I'm under that assumption and dont want to have to do that if there's some ingenious way to do it otherwise.

thanks

tpstaples said:
why would their be ATF in my vacuum line? that's confusing to me.. can you explain further jag?

The vacuum modulator has a rubber diaphram in it, and if it ruptures or cracks it will suck fluid from inside the transmission.

The vacuum modulator moves a push rod inside the transmission to vary line pressure and shift points under acceleration, it uses manifold vacuum generated from the engine to actuate it. ;)

Jeff - :navajo:

nice explanation

so where exactly are these vac lines...

Back