HELP!! Stuck Shackle bolt!

Explorer Junky

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4 dr 5.0
HELP!! Stuck Shackle bolt! UPDATED!!!

I have a 97 Ex. I was trying to replace my rusted through shackles today to no avail. I got the bolt out of the shackle that connects to the leaf, but the one through the frame is another issue. The shackle was so soft and rusted that I could just bend it 4-5 times back and forth and it just broke off. But, now I have a bolt in the frame with no head and no real way to grab it. I was considering drilling it out. Any other ideas??? Please help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to cut mine off...Rusted way to much in there to get it out no matter how much penetrating oil I used. Good luck

I had to cut mine off...Rusted way to much in there to get it out no matter how much penetrating oil I used. Good luck

MIne is cut off too. But now the bolt is still in the frame with no way to extract. I hope the drill can do it!

Once I cut them off I grabbed a punch and my BFH

sawsall

If you can fit it use a sawsall

I did mine in a parking lot with an old hacksaw. Can't tell you how much of a pain in the a it is to fit a hacksaw in some of those places.

Mine are rusted to the bushings, and my bushings are now torn. The good news is they are only liek $14 from ford, but I really don't want to deal with replacing them =[

I second the punch and BFH. If You can't pull it out, push it out the other way. Or, is there something blocking it on the other side?

I second the punch and BFH. If You can't pull it out, push it out the other way. Or, is there something blocking it on the other side?

Well, if I get under the rear of the truck I have enough room to swing the hammer pretty hard. The other side has the 1/4 panel in the way. I have beat the S out of it and it will not budge.both ends are cut and smooth with no edges to hang up. I do not understand why it will not budge. One guy suggested that I cut the rivets off that hold the one side to the frame and have them pressed out at a machine shop, then grade 8 back in. I will try calling the stealership in the morning to see if i can get the replacement part. I hop eits cheap.

I jacked up the truck on stands and then took out the spare tire. After that I could sit underneath and hammer away. I cut off the bolts on the side that faces "in". I remember sitting under there swearing and sweating and walked off for an hour. When I came back it took one solid swing....Patience is a virtue!

@ExplorerJunky

Hmm... Do you have access to a ball joint press? Instead of cutting rivets and taking it to a machine shop, I bet it would be possible to rig up the press to push the bolt out.

You'll be able to get it out with a punch

I'm currently in the same boat. I plan on borrowing a set of torches and heating the **** out of the frame and try tapping it out with a BFH or just burning the bushing out... whichever works best.

Good luck!

I'm currently in the same boat. I plan on borrowing a set of torches and heating the **** out of the frame and try tapping it out with a BFH or just burning the bushing out... whichever works best.

Good luck!

Yeah that might work, but I am having trouble locating the bushing in the frame. No one carries them. I called Napa, AZ,AA, you name it. I am calling stealership in morning. if worse comes to worse, I call my buddy who is a diesel mechanic to bring his rig over here and give him gas money. He has portable air, torch, you name it! He works on the road a lot this time of year fixing the engines in yachts. Might have to wait til Friday though. Frickin rust belt!! Here comes a TON of ANTI-SEEZE.

I called the dealer when I found out I need new bushings, they're $14 each. Not too bad. I don't have the part number anymore though :(

Ah! Thanks Corkey. I was having issues finding it on FPN and that's because I was never able to find it there, only on the site linked in that thread post. Here is the part number for the bushing that is in the frame of the vehicle that the shackle bolts to: F57Z 5A546 AA

they are easy to change too, just use a ball joint press to remove and replace, it's easy ,
Tim did it in no time, it's in his true fire registry,,

Thanks for the balljoint confirmation :) I know it was mentioned earlier but I was doubtful. I was just gonna go at it with a torch lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back