• Register Today It's free!

help, terrible gas mileage

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have not been driving a lot recently but I just noticed on a trip that I am getting about 200 miles to a tank. I just checked today and to drive about 50 HIGHWAY miles I used a quarter of a tank. When my truck was stock I was getting about double this. I put bigger tires on (31") but it still was not terrible than, but it seems to be getting worse. I put on a K&N filter kit with duct work and a borla exhaust but they don't seem to be affecting the gas mileage at all. I have also changed the spark plugs and wires (last spring) and seafoamed the engine. What else can I do?! 10mpg is ridiculous:(. Its the OHV 6. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any CEL light? Any loss in power? I had a significant decrease in mpgs and i was because of a head casket leak which was causing a compression loss and a missfire. I would suggest getting the codes read even if the engine light is not on.... oh ya do you drive with a lead foot or just normal?

any CEL light? Any loss in power? I had a significant decrease in mpgs and i was because of a head casket leak which was causing a compression loss and a missfire. I would suggest getting the codes read even if the engine light is not on.... oh ya do you drive with a lead foot or just normal?

Haha, no lead foot, thanks though, i forgot to state that. And there are no codes. I have my own reader and Im not getting anything:(

also, the power seems to be perfectly fine. It was never a very powerful truck though, but good enough for me for now

what do you mean scan? I checked on my scanner and it did not pull up any codes and went I went into the program for car information it said that the 02system was ok. Does that help? lol

ya it could be the O2's or maybe a bad cat that is clogged or restricted causing less power

You need a OBD-2 capable scanner that can get real-time o2 voltage readings to monitor O2 output

I have one. Do you know what the voltages should be?

It just dawned on me... I am not sure If my MAf has ever been cleaned. Could that be causing bad gas mileage if its very dirty? Also Should I maybe try some fuel injection cleaner and things like that? or put some seafoam in my gas tank? Thanks

my 95 is getting the same mpg so far i changed the plugs , wires , fuel filter , dpfe and ias , cleaned throttle body , and maf and i have the same mods at you 31s , intake and exuast the two sensors didnt get changed to chase down the mpg tho so next im trying the o2's

Tell us your actual MPG, guessing my miles per tank is useless.

On the last tank I got 236 miles which would be approximately 11 MPG

On the last tank I got 236 miles which would be approximately 11 MPG
Again, "approximately"... How many gallons did it use in that 236 miles? Also, you traveled more than 236 miles because you odometer reads slow with 31s. If you went by the gas gauge on my bronco II you'd think it gets 8MPG.

I changed the speedo gear out to correct the wrong problem. I used 18 gallons and got 199 miles. which would equal 236 on a full tank... thats approximating though

It just dawned on me... I am not sure If my MAf has ever been cleaned. Could that be causing bad gas mileage if its very dirty? Also Should I maybe try some fuel injection cleaner and things like that? or put some seafoam in my gas tank? Thanks

Yes to both.

01 sport 2wd, TT/warrior shackles, 31's (heavy mud tires), k&n drop in, and a flowmaster. during the summer i get 21 mpg tops. btw, 31's will throw off your odometer.

wow

i running the 5.0 but when i purchased the explorer i was at only 11mpg highway then i replaced spark plugs and wires and added intake and exhuast system it didnt seem to change but only by like a mile more then i took it to get tuned on computer i got 16 miles gallon hiway now

With the winter i have been averaging about 11mpg with the V8 and 31's, a lot the drop can be from your driving habits in winter, letting it warm up and with the different gas additives. I've noticed this with the Explorer and with the Mustang I used to have, I get about a 4mpg drop during the winter.

Back