Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicanX

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
Looking at the Manual Hub swap since my hub bearings are shot. I've exhausted every thread on the ranger forums and here and still can not decide. It seems that the consensus is that it is a great up/down grade with the flaw of possibly falling off due to the inferior materials used in the casing. My mitigation to that would be to do the hub cap mod as seen on this forum and have some sort of support inside so that the possiblility of the AVM/Rugged Ridge locking mechanism is minimized.

My main reasoning for thinking about the swap is to keep the front differential out of play when in 2 wheel drive. Another note, I think i've decided I will be purchasing an Atlas II in the near future.

Another note that i've read is that the manual hubs work great at stock tire size, however once 33s + were installed, drivers were having issues out on the trail.

I have 35s... does anyone with 35s have this manual hub mod done? If so, could you provide feedback?

If you read this far, I thank you for any input provided. I'm really racking my brain here and i'm changing my mind everyday.

Or do I just go Timken high quality hubs, and keep the live axle set up, and relize having the front dif spinning while in 2wd may not be so bad...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I plan on doing this on my mountaineer and my 5.0 sport but mine stay on the road 90% of the time, I think if you are already on 35s and offroading you may wanna do the sas

I plan on doing this on my mountaineer and my 5.0 sport but mine stay on the road 90% of the time, I think if you are already on 35s and offroading you may wanna do the sas

You are absolutely correct; I do WANT to do an SAS!

However the reality is I have to pay for a wedding so I have to settle for replacing just the hub bearings. :(

So the question is with a truck on 35s that mostly sees pavement and construction site travel, shall I do the manual hubs or high quality existing style?

If you are not beating on it then they would probably be fine , 35s are just too big for this front end its gonna keep eating bearings, so with that said I would get stock replacements and save all the money you would spend on the parts ( half shafts knuckles and hubs) and hold out for the sas, the avm hubs unlock the halfshaft but its still the same bearing and with all the weight and leverage 35s have they will fail quickly and all the money and work will gain you nothing other than not spinning the front drive train all the time and that's if you have a manual case or bwm,

Not really beating on it much, so it would be ok. And i do have 2wd available with the 1356 t-case and an Atlas will be going in at the end of september. I think you have helped me make the decision of staying with the live axle set up. I'll save the cash for the SAS future fund.

Thanks for helping me bounce ideas! Much appreciated.

No problem, im for sure putting them on the mounty but im still only about 75% sure on my 5.0 sport, Im still undecided on street or offroad, the wife wants my bfgs and more of an offroad look on the mounty and if that happens the sport will probably become a street fighter like vroomzoombooms evil, but I wanna slam the mounty and lift the sport, so I know how it is trying to decide.

Another plus is that I found some moog hubs at auto zone for $145 each. If I do two separate orders online using the 30% off code it drops down to $109 each. The using my $100 auto zone gift card puts the total at $118 for a set of hub bearings that carry a three year warranty! Winner!

As for your trucks. I like the way the wife thinks! Ill be sure to look for your builds as I have a supercharger that will go on my sport next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back