Help?: Water into New tailights Need Advice. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help?: Water into New tailights Need Advice.

I got these 2 months ago, Installed them and washed the truck. Water Got inside and I didnt notice it for a week. So I finally got around to Taking them off and I'm trying to dry them out.

What Im worried about is the Drivers side (left) tailight has this weird patch on the inside that doesnt seem to be water more or less like the plastic cover on the inside is damaged. it looks like someone took sandpaper to the inside cover. I can't really discribe it. But the pics should help I hope.

Questions:

1. What can I do about the "Sandpaper" area?
2. Dirt got inside Not much but just noticable if you look 1-6" away on the refective area's. Should I be worried?
3. These headlights appear to have 3 holes or air vents. Should I seal them all?
(the stock Tails are fully sealed, I checked by sealing them and blowing air in a light socket and no air leaked out.

If I can't fix these then I learned a $60.00 Mistake.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone with any idea's?

clear silicoln the edges where the plastic front meets the plastic back.
Use some die-electric grease around the bulb boots (where they twist into the light)

Let it air out before doing this.
Basically you need to seal up your aftermarket lights with silicoln before you install them

clear silicoln the edges where the plastic front meets the plastic back.
Use some die-electric grease around the bulb boots (where they twist into the light)

Let it air out before doing this.
Basically you need to seal up your aftermarket lights with silicoln before you install them

Any Idea on what that white patch is inside the left tail? I cant figure it out. Maybe a buildup or something.. Id like to get it out before i seal up the light.

It looks like stressed plastic to me, but I don't know anything about the plastic compound they use to make the taillights.

Well, Its been a while the lights have been off the truck and that area has gotten worse. The seller is not active on eBay anymore so no wonder. These headlight/taillights are junk. My headlights also leaked and the chrome reflective paint melted. So I'm pretty upset as this cost me alot of money and there is nothing I can do to fix or replace them.

The taillights are still usable, but the one has that bad area.

Live and learn i guess.

Back