Help: 99 clear corners inside paint melted?.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help: 99 clear corners inside paint melted?..

First water got inside my Driver's side parking/tuning sections of my clear corners. So I sealed that one up on the outside (left the vent holes open). It leaked again after a carwash. So then i completely sealed them, and it still fogged up. During this 2-3 weeks of insane frustration I noticed the chrome paint (or reflective background in the clear corner) bubbled and ran. (it had some water and that side of the truck gets sun all day.

So It looks like I can still save this light if I'm able to re-paint the 2 sections that the paint bubbled and melted or ran.

If I can get the light apart what type of paint would i need?

Note: My passenger side headlights are perfectly fine. No leaks or condensation.
I plan to remove both headlights and re-bead around the seems just incase. This will be the 5th time I'd had the headlights off the truck, and it hasnt been ran much since i bought these ***** headlights. My tails just went in the trash too. So I'm hoping to fix these. I will get pics shortly as I need to run to autozone to buy gaskets for these lights if i can find any.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where are you located??? just curious...the paint you want i believe is chrome and you can get it at pepboys and maybe autozone...i've had better luck with paint at pepboys as they stock more...just my opinion, but i would probably try to buy lights from another manufacturer since your corners and tails can get costly...i take it there is no type of warantee?? bummer...

where are you located??? just curious...the paint you want i believe is chrome and you can get it at pepboys and maybe autozone...i've had better luck with paint at pepboys as they stock more...just my opinion, but i would probably try to buy lights from another manufacturer since your corners and tails can get costly...i take it there is no type of warantee?? bummer...

near fullerton.

i think they had 90days, but i didnt install them for like 2 months, so it was too late.

Autozone Didn't have any rubber gaskets, So I need a 1" OD 5/8" ID waterproof rubber gasket if anyone knows where to get one.
I'm pretty sure the gasket is what caused the water to leak in.

Pics... Kinda hard to see tho..

Attachments

• M01A0081.jpg
    M01A0081.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 189
  • M01A0082.jpg
    M01A0082.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 184
  • M01A0080.jpg
    M01A0080.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 188

my shop is over by fry's electronics...call kragen at state college and lincoln...and if not, call pepboys and autozone both at glassell and katella, they can tell you what stores has them since they are hooked up on computer :D...there is a parts house by me and to junkyards and they are both closed for the weekend...
where did you purchase those lights so we will all know to watch for them???

On the gasket, I'm going to try to make my own or see if a water house gasket will work.

for now im going to use my oem parking light section for now.

Anyone know what kind of paint i can use? I Might just buy a new set, if i can find them cheap.

as i mentioned before, go to pepboys and they sell chrome paint ;)

Anyone know what kind of paint i can use? I Might just buy a new set, if i can find them cheap.

you can use plasti-kote metallic spray paint from Walmart. I used it on my HID shroud, works great. but you'd probly be better off buying a new set since your having a fogging problem with them

Back