Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Hey Guys,
I'm going to be running 3 amps at the end of this month. They are as follows:

Fosgate Power 400a4 = Fosgate components/Excelon 6x8s
Fosgate Punch 500a2 = 10'' Fosgate Hx2
Fosgate Punch 500a2 = 10'' Fosgate Hx2

now comes the question:
I have 4 gauge power running from the battery to the Cap then to one amp. When i run the three amps, i am going to get a distributor block......Should i run 8 gauge to all three amps? Or should i run 4 gauge to all three amps? Someone told me i should at least run the 4 gauge to the sub amps? Does it matter??? Please respond. Thank you.

Migga

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here

cablelength.gif

use this chart to determine the # of amps (as in current) your aplifiers will be pulling either together or each one. Definitely go with a cap though, it will really help.

umm...........can someone read that for me?

i recommend 2 guage to a dist. block then 4 gauge to the amps.

Well i already have 4 gauge......a lot of it.....so i'll just run 4 gauge to a dist. block and three 4 gauge outputs........now a new question: Where can i get a dist. block with 4gauge in and 4 gauge out?
any ideas?

Migga

you might have some problems running all the amps from a single 4 ga. wire going to a dist block. the wire will probably get hot. you might blow fuses on the amps because of the current that has to pass through that one wire. and your full range amp will probably be starved by the sub amps when the volume is cranked up.

just spend a few bucks and buy some 2 ga. it should be around $2/ft or less.

and the cap wouldn't help this? What if i just run 8 gauge from the dist. block? Will there be a significant difference in performance?

MIgga

ps.....i appreciate all the help. :bounce:

a capacitor wont help that. the wire will be too thin, so the current will be very high. and when the volume is turned up, not enough power will be able to pass through that wire to feed all the amps.

ok......gotcha.........jus one last question: Will there be a significant notice in performance if i run three 8 gauge wires from a dist. block that is being powered by 4 gauge instead of 4 gauge wire from dist. block powered by a 2 gauge wire?? Hope that made sense...

Thanks again!!!

Mig

Now after this, if i get some rims by july, i'll be entering in Texas HeatWave! hehe

yes, there will be a big difference. the larger wire will be better for your system.

what rims are you getting?

i'm looking at these 20'' Mondera rims......they are soooo sweeet.........

monderas are hot. i think sideswipe has a set of 18s...

well if u know if he gots a pic of the 18s let me know.....i wanna see them!

Back