Help with snow tire size

bumpkin

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
"02 XLT
Hello and thanks in advance,

So, what is the deal with alternate tire sizes? I have a 2004 Explorer XLS that I plan on keeping for only one more year...if it lives that long, and I would like to put snow tires on it this winter. Since this will probably be the only winter that I will use the tires I would like to keep the expense to a minimum and would consider a good used set of snow tires. The stock tire size is 235/70R16. I realize that it has to be 16” diameter, but can I use a tire with different specs? For instance, can I use a 235/65R16?

Thanks a lot!

So, what is the deal with alternate tire sizes? I have a 2004 Explorer XLS that I plan on keeping for only one more year...if it lives that long, and I would like to put snow tires on it this winter. Since this will probably be the only winter that I will use the tires I would like to keep the expense to a minimum and would consider a good used set of snow tires. The stock tire size is 235/70R16. I realize that it has to be 16” diameter, but can I use a tire with different specs? For instance, can I use a 235/65R16?

Thanks a lot!
If you have 235/70r16 that’s what you should buy. Those 235/65r16 tires will be smaller so no you really shouldn’t use them you’ll mess with your speedo which could cause all sorts of issues. Just get the correct size they make them so it shouldn’t be an issue. Tires are one thing to never ever cheap out on or it could cost you your life it’s not worth the $20 your gonna save from getting smaller tires to mess with your speedometer and everything else if your car thinks you have stock tires but your running smaller your wheels are spinning faster and that will throw off basically 50% of the information the transmission needs to shift correctly.

Thanks a lot!
And sorry that wasn’t supposed to sound rude at all I just worded it absolutely terribly

Back