• Register Today It's free!

Help

Pickle Rick

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Xlt 4.0
My 04 Ford Explorer keeps randomly slipping out of gear. It's done it twice, once while driving and once while I stopped to put it in reverse. Both times I've had to turn the car off and on to get it in gear which confuses me. I've had issues with my trans shifting hard into reverse and into drive everyone once in a while but not through the gears. Has anyone had this issue but someone pleasssse help.

First and foremost, check your transmission fluid level. How many miles do you have on your Ex and when was your last transmission fluid and filter change? Unfortunately, there is no dipstick to check. You'll have to get the car up on 4 jacks (it must be level to correctly check fluid) and get under the vehicle. On the bottom of the transmission pan is a nut with a Torx 30 bolt in the middle. There are plenty of posts on here that will show you the proper way to check level and change as necessary. I've done it... it's not difficult.

If your transmission fluid is dark and smells burnt... you're probably overdue for a change.

If your fluid is fine, then you can move on to more troubleshooting.

Back