• Register Today It's free!

Transmission issues?

alexk

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Limited
My sister has an 04 mountaineer premier 4.0 awd and its doing some weird things with the trans. When you shift Into either reverse or drive it takes a few seconds to get into gear. When your driving it doesn't feel like there is any power until you get into 2nd gear and it will occasionally slam into second gear. Also when you stop at a light after you are stopped you can feel it downshift and when you go to stop again it won't drive right away. Once tonight it did that and I had hit the gas and it slammed into gear and spun the tires. I gave her my edge to use for now because I didn't want her driving with the kids in the car like that but I'm just wondering does this seem like the entire trans is gone or could it be something less serious. Also I have a 32 mile commute is it going to damage it driving this much until I can get it fixed?

I was going to check that in the morning when I have access to a lift. Other thing I noticed on my way home tonight when cruising it seems to go into neutral and then it takes a second to get back into gear when you hit the gas.

Back