Helpful thread, for squeak, squeal, chirp noise from V8 and OHV v6 engine compartment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Helpful thread, for squeak, squeal, chirp noise from V8 and OHV v6 engine compartment

Turdle

DIY stunt double
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
SOHC guys--nothing for you in here!

Does your explorer-mountaineer have an under hood whine, squeal, chirp, squeak,squeaking, whinning, bird chirp,sqealing, whirring, noise which tests your skills?
Well, it could be the camshaft position sensor drive unit-or cmp synch drive

Remove serpentine belt, run engine briefly, if noise persists with belt off, this is your noise. Camshaft position sensor- CMP synch drive shaft, which is notorious for failure on V-8 engines.

For more detail you can refer to this video . Thanks [MENTION=229411]makuloco2000[/MENTION] for posting it up.

Here is a link for the 1st generation ( 1991-1994) 4.0 OHV engine, also used in some 2nd gen explorers from 1995-up. Yes, even a 91-92 will have a "stub shaft" to drive the oil pump. Some 93, and all 94 models have an electrical sensor on top of the oil pump drive unit.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275008

Since the noise is sometimes intermittent, you may want to leave belt off and perform test several times at 10-30 minute intervals, running engine only briefly each time, < 1 minute
If you are satisfied the noise isn't present without belt, rotate each pulley, and idler by hand. This should find any front engine bay, accessory drive, serpentine noise you encounter.
I hope this helps.

Fix it by reading this first

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89670&highlight=camshaft+position+sensor+tool

More replacement part info

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260979&highlight=cam+sensor

DSC00735.jpg

DSC00736.jpg

DSC00737.jpg

DSC00738.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

DSC007401.jpg

notice the thinner material used for rolling the pin on the dorman unit. This has been know to cause failure soon after replacement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

awesome info right there.. BUMP!!! :thumbsup:

How do you fix thsi noise?

I second that, how do you go about fixing this ? Do I need special tools? If a thread exsists that shows this please link it. This noise is driving me insane.

Cam chirp cause

I have written on this topic before. My 98 Mountie 5.0 got the infamous cam position sensor chirp. A Ford mechanic told me tarnish builds up inhibiting lubricant flow. I have also read that the Cam Sync Gear has lube that goes away causing the chirp. Add this theory. When I got the code, I removed the cam pos sensor and found the metal contacts were in pieces, both on the sensor and the top of the gear. I vacuum everything out. Now, no chirp. I suspect that the chirp is caused by the disintegrating metal contacts falling into the crevice of the gear. So, if you are beginning to get the chirp, remove the Cam Pos Sensor and look for damage. This may save the metal contact on the Sync gear.

Are there any special tools I need to do this? I might tackle it tomorrow

Thanks, I didn't realize I have to worry about TDC and what not....

Thanks, I didn't realize I have to worry about TDC and what not....
yeah and remember--tdc happens twice for every rotation of the CAMSHAFT.

so #1 must be at TDC on the compression stroke.

Easy way to tell if #1 is at TDC is cover the spark plug hole and wait for the rush of air out correct?

This regards the Dorman Cam Snychronizer Gear I just bought from Rock Auto. 98 Mountaineer, 5.0 AWD, 81k Miles. The Stator on the Cam Sny Gear crumbled, so I have just received the Dorman part. It came with a CPS and Installation Part. The CPS has only 2 prongs; whereas the factory part has 3, so I won't be using the Dorman CPS. The stator on the Dorman part is thin. I think the 98 stator is a semi circle. But since the one in the engine is cutoff, I cannot tell. Am I going to have problems with this Dorman Part? I did not want to buy a rebuilt part. Dorman is Chinese Factory fresh. Will this gear fit into a 98? Was there a change in design on the CPS to 2 prongs. Any info will help

Camshaft position sensor- CMP synch drive shaft, which is notorious for failure on V-8 engines.

Any word on its notoriety and/or failure rate on the 4.0 OHV 6-cyl??

I would also like to know about the failure rate on the v6. my girlfriend has a 95 explorer, and this seems like this might be the problem. only, the noise only happens when the weather is cooler. It had not made the whistling noise all summer long until this morning when the temp was in about the 50's. thank you in advance.

erik

The 4.0L OHV V6 part is similar to the V8 part and often suffers the same failure as the miles increase.

No such problem on the 4.0L SOHC because it has a different sensor that reads directly from a toothwheel on the DS overhead cam (no Synchronizer shaft or other additional moving parts).

Jtsmith,

Thanks so much for this thread!!! We had a squeak about a year ago and my mechanic suggested a fan belt and tensioner. I was resistant because I had changed the belt 1 year prior, but I wanted to leave it to the "expert" and I agreed. The squeak was still there and then another mechanic suggested it was the alternator. I changed that myself and still a squeak, so I did what any good computer nerd would do and I surfed the net and found your post. A friend of mine was a Ford mechanic and was very familiar with this problem. I ordered the part from Rock auto. It was shipped fast and in perfect condition. My friend had the special tool, but did not use it. He removed a couple of things on top to gain access and the old CMP slipped out without problem. He noted the position of the old one and slid the new one in. Started the engine and no squeak and no check engine light !! Me and my wife could not be happier. I told the original mechanic what I thought it was and he didn't even know what I was talking about. Time for a new mechanic right?
Thanks again.

Dorman part sent by Rock Auto was incorrect. I needed a 103 and was sent a 107 in a mismarked box. Rock paying return postage and will send proper part. Hence the confusion. Great help from the Dorman Tech Rep. The part number is on the metal ring just above the O ring.

Swapped out my cam sync gear with the Dorman part. So far so good, but I have driven the 98 Mountie little. Hope to be getting a digi camera soon and hope to do a write up on this procedure. First, could not have done it without this site. But, we really should construct a dictionary on the relevant parts, as they have been called several different names. The one possible problem I have, is the scribe mark I made on the top of the engine housing from the back of the bad cam snyc gear housing did not line up exactly..off by 1/16 of an inch. I suspect this had to do with the gear teeth of the new cam snyc gear, or the oil extension tube may be slightly twisted. Once I have more miles on this new part and there is no fall off in gas mileage, I will create the new post. Lastly, the removed part still squeaked when I rotated it. As a lark, I squirted some silicon in the area around the base of the stator/vane and let it work down overnight onto the shaft. Squeak gone. Perhaps there was a build up on the shaft under the base of the stator. This may be a bandaid for the chirp. This will only involve removing the 2 screws that hold the cam position sensor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think i have the infamous cam position sensor screech coming from under the hood of my 1997 5.0 explorer xlt (173k miles), can anyone please post the ford part numbers (or links to the ford part numbers) that i need to replace?

i have already made sure it wasn't the belt or any of the pulleys, and would like to go ahead and swap out the cps to see if that fixes it.

thank you.

Back