Henson's 2001 Explorer Sport baseline | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Henson's 2001 Explorer Sport baseline

Well I dynoed 3 cars yesterday and had one cancellation. I decided to go home and get my Explorer Sport and see what she would do. I was really nervous because this one doesn't feel as enthusiastic as my 98 did bone stock. This is with 87 octane fuel cooled to 180* each pull (end of the pull was about 192*), the only tuning modification was locking the converter and trans into 3rd gear. I loaded the dyno with my eddy brake 5% just for kicks and giggles. Well onto the rollers and the results are as follows:
182.8 hp @ 5050 rmp and 215.3 torque @ 3400 rpm. If you notice these trucks sign off really early so I will be doing a lot of trans tuning to extract the best out of it. This is only the beginning for the stock set up. I will go to the track and get some baseline track #'s. I will post them up too. Then we will let the modification process begin.

You can go here to view the video.

Attachments

• 2001 Henson Explorer Sport-stock2.JPG
    2001 Henson Explorer Sport-stock2.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 926

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe this is above average for a stock explorer 4.0 SOHC. Very good to start with.

I'm not sure what intake you have on this one, the figure eigth or the newer "mustang" style intake. I believe the first part of this year had the figure eight style and the later part had the mustang like style.

It is a later "bread box" style. My white one had a figure 8, one of those may still make it onto this X. Maybe just for testing. I thought this was a good starting point too, I was expecting 170-ish. It still doesn't feel as good as my white one did stock. Maybe because the powertrain is broken in real good. LOL!-j

Good start James! I assume these numbers were SAE, correct?

The 01 may also be heavier than the 98, is the gear ratio the same?
I would be shocked if this 01 is heavier than my 98. My reasoning is because my 98 was fully loaded (power everything-seats,windows,deluxe center console,etc),moon roof, steel wheels. So on and so forth
Good start James! I assume these numbers were SAE, correct?

Yes, all my #'s are SAE.

Hey, I made 189 with almost all the NA bolt on's so this is darn good.

higher rpm max hp

My 2000 with the older style intake and stock peaked at 168.65 rwhp at 5300 rpm in 3rd. With the throttle cable mod and a racing air filter it peaked at 179.35 rwhp. I suppose my higher rpm peak is due to the different intake manifold. I wonder if the VIS manifold that was on your 1998 made it seem more responsive.

There is a possibility that the manifold did make it seem more responsive. I don't know. Full bolt ons minus e-fan and underdrive pulley, my 98 went 198 hp-this was on a Dynojet 248. Aldive was present and his truck with bolt on's actually did bust 200 the same day.-j

Track #'s

Went to the track tonight and had a good baseline. My reaction time was jam up! I can't remember going this slow in a long time. All runs were stock tires,87 octane fuel, full interior.-j

Attachments

• 2001 Henson Explorer Sport-stock track1.jpg
    2001 Henson Explorer Sport-stock track1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 813
  • 2001 Henson Explorer Sport-stock track2_0001.jpg
    2001 Henson Explorer Sport-stock track2_0001.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 799

Not a bad start!!! Looking forward to how it responds to mods;)

Wondering if anything new has been done???

Just for comparison's sake, my Explorer at full weight, all stock with muffler change only went 10.17 @ 67.8mph. With the addition of your 91 tune, I went 9.81 @ 70.29mph. That's all I have at full weight before adding wheels and taking out seats.

Looking forward to how well your Sport responds to mods! I've said it before, but it'd be sweet if we could have a dyno day or something. It'd be a long drive and I'd be lucky to find the time, but I always think about it.

Wondering if anything new has been done???

Just for comparison's sake, my Explorer at full weight, all stock with muffler change only went 10.17 @ 67.8mph. With the addition of your 91 tune, I went 9.81 @ 70.29mph. That's all I have at full weight before adding wheels and taking out seats.

Looking forward to how well your Sport responds to mods! I've said it before, but it'd be sweet if we could have a dyno day or something. It'd be a long drive and I'd be lucky to find the time, but I always think about it.

I wouldn't mind going to this. In fact, count me in. Would just need an advance notice to take off work.

Reviving an old thread with an update. There are a bunch of parts on order for my Explorer. Rocket and I will never tell what is about to happen but plan on being impressed. Lets just say I am gonna get back on and to the track.:burnout:

Rocket and I will never tell what is about to happen but plan on being impressed.

I might if one of the members bribes me with money or donuts. Perhaps Johnsonville cheesy brats too. I love those. :D Any takers? ;) :p:

Roughly what percentage are you sitting at with the parts now J?

Ohhhh, I'm getting excited!!! Big builds like this are very cool to follow and I'm curious to see the results!!! What is the estimated timeline after you start?

Rob, are you going to have a hand on some of the fabrication?

All I ask is for a SWEEEEEEET burnout after it's all done:D

Ohhhh, I'm getting excited!!! Big builds like this are very cool to follow and I'm curious to see the results!!! What is the estimated timeline after you start?

Rob, are you going to have a hand on some of the fabrication?

All I ask is for a SWEEEEEEET burnout after it's all done:D

Big build??? Naaah it's just a cold air intake install. ;)

No timeline will be given for this project but I sure don't expect it to drag out for months or anything. I will be helping with a few things.

I will give props to Rob, he is gonna have a hand in the hot air intake fabrication. :p: Currently, I don't have the time due to too many customer cars in the shop and not enough man power. Rob, just offered an opportunity too good to pass up. So, north my truck will go. Obviously, I will tune the vehicle. This week I will install the injectors, pump and get it tuned- just enough to drive it around the shop with the injectors. Rob is right this won't be dragged out, I expect this to be completed rather quickly. Rob will take the time he needs but this won't take a year or nothing like that. When I get it back I will go through the trans and engine a few months down the road. I believe this build between Rob and I will be a really good one. -j

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might if one of the members bribes me with money or donuts. Perhaps Johnsonville cheesy brats too. I love those. :D Any takers? ;) :p:

Roughly what percentage are you sitting at with the parts now J?

I have my warehouse getting the list of things they can get for me right now. Hopefully they can provide me with everything. I hope to be sitting on 100% by the end of next week. I have the slot style Pro-M maf and flange in stock, does that count? LOL!!!!!:D

Back