Herculiner ? Should I put running Boards back on? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Herculiner ? Should I put running Boards back on?

Hello. I am new to body work so please bear with my stupid question! I am having alot of rust pop up at the line where my running boards are. I would like to sand this rust off and put in some type of herculiner or something similiar. My question is this, after herculiner is on can running boards be reattached no problem? I know many people hate the running boards, but I am small and need them to stand on to buckle in a kid in the middle seatbelt. For me they do serve a purpose!! any info is helpful. also best sanding tips?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as you tape off the mounting holes/surfaces and dont get it in the threads of the bolts you should be alright.

just know this herc WILL NOT stop rust

MONMIX said:
just know this herc WILL NOT stop rust

Nor will it easily be removed from the hootus.

-Rich

Is there something that will stop the rust or slow it down? Michigan winters are going to be the death of us!!

I dont have to worry about that, as I dont have a Hootus!

WECALLHERDORA said:
I dont have to worry about that, as I dont have a Hootus!

ah, so you discovered the hootus thread! I'm sure you can get something to stop the rust, i believe rustoleum makes a product, then just put the herculiner over that.

-Rich

The other bad part about putting the hurc over the rust is it will hide it, but the rust will still grow.
As MONMIX has said, you can slow rust down some but it won't ever go away.

Back