Here it is! My BII! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here it is! My BII!

Will keep you posted. I am not sure when the swap will take place. I have a bumper snafu to figure out first. I think OshKosh is like 10 hour drive from here...ouch.

For the right price,ill come get it. I have come unconventional methods of transportation i can use to come get parts...(my dads a pilot with his own plane, will fly me to get it) if the info is correct. (price, condition, Millage, etc)

So yea, keep me posted. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not much done so small update.

So after hundreds of miles of bad fuel millage and running extremely rich with oil being burnt and negative crank case pressure i finally decided that it was a intake manifold gasket that needed to be replaced.

I started tearing into the engine with valve covers and right away i found this...

IMG_1567.jpg

Then found out that taking the intake off was not fun because everything had to come off the intake manifold to get to the one bolt under the EGR.

IMG_1565.jpg

After the intake was off and the the gasket was pulled out.... it looked like it was replaced and someone put it in wrong. like it was already tore before bolted in.

IMG_1568.jpg

After it was opened up i could see some more problems from running so rich...

IMG_1569.jpg

Here is the EGR ports, all of them looked like this.

IMG_157.jpg

So after hours upon hours of freezing my butt off working in the wisconsin winter in a parking lot, i got it all put back together.

Decided that since the valve covers were off i would adjust the valve lash and get rid of the wicked rocker tick. And after some research on this forum and others i adjusted them 3/4 turn past 0 lash. Put it all back together, and found out that what i found was wrong. none of the valves were closing and no compression, so i pulled it apart again. set them all to 0 lash with out feeler gauges and put it back together. started, got the engine to operating temp and race timed it since it still does not advance itself. It now has more power than it has since i bought it. its brilliant, cant wait to do the 4.0 swap, still trying to find a trans for that, either a 4r44e or 4r55e.

Few other pictures.

So i needed to get the body of the explorer out of my shop, no one bought parts from it so i just scrapped it all. here are some pictures, thought it was funny i towed it to the yard using the BII which is stealing all the parts from it. haha death to the x and new life soon for the BII.

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

So the explorer is dead, completely.

Last post for a while i bet.

Some ideas i thought about and decided to photoshop. Thought id give you guys a chance to tear into them.

How it is now...

origonal.jpg

Idea #1... lifted and some creativity with the rear windows, probably wil leave the windows but like the idea of lifting it for sure.

IMG_1164copy.jpg

And the more extreme idea #2 for towing capability.... lifted and moving the rear axle back to put more stability into it when towing. only problem with this would be fuel tank relocation. any ideas for that?

movewheelback.jpg

Any critiques?

thats interesting, looks like a scout

forgot one update

So its the smallest thing i have done to the BII yet, but it makes all the difference. They look sweet on it.

01231649.jpg

The second picture is after i took ten min and hit them with some mothers mag polish.

01231658.jpg

Blew the engine, swap time.

So i blew the head gaskets on the BII two weeks ago, so had to do the swap before i had the transmission i wanted, but thats soon to come.

So here are some pictures and descriptions of what was done.

Started with removing hood, obviously.

IMG_1638.jpg

Air box and some electronics

IMG_1640.jpg

and with some camera magic the engine vanishes.

IMG_1641.jpg

Engine out, pulling exhaust manifolds off to use bolts where 4.0 bolts were lost (didnt work, had to find 4.0 bolts) and pulled off motor mount brackets, they bolted up.

IMG_1642.jpg

New stuff to go in.

IMG_1645.jpg

Dash removal, or beer drinking, ok both!

IMG_1649.jpg

Here is where it gets fun, time to start cutting. Removed the firewall to make room for the explorer one.

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

Grandpa flattening the flange so it can be welded. And in the end i cut that part off and felt bad for him wasting his time.

IMG_1656.jpg

Where did it go?

IMG_1657.jpg

Cleaning the edges to weld to.

IMG_1658.jpg

New one in the process of being installed.

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

Painted.

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

HVAC

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

And some interesting ways to install the engine and trans in one.

IMG_1673.jpg

Engine in.

IMG_1675.jpg

Dash in.

IMG_1678.jpg

With some fab work i used the 95 wiper motor, so it now has intermitten wipers.

IMG_1682-1.jpg

Everyhting in.

IMG_1684-1.jpg

Old fuel pick up, and new pump. for a 90 Bronco II

IMG_1686-1.jpg

Bought a plug for the 90 and spliced it into the 95 harness. turned out great.

IMG_1688-1.jpg

Took the advice from a current BII owner and you should too. go through the floor to get to the pump, not taking the tank out. So easy.

IMG_1691-1.jpg

Steering column in and dash, looks good, no pictures now but i have the seats and center council too, so it all matches and looks great.

IMG_1695-1.jpg

Had to make a cat. front half of the cat for the 95, back flange from the 95.

IMG_1703.jpg

Thats the last picture for now, but i still have to get the trans, which is on its way.

Piece of advice, if you swap a 95 or newer 4.0 into the bronco II make sure you get the headder pipe/ y pipe, from a 91-94 explorer and the cat from that vehicle. The y pipe from the 95 was not designed for the raduis arm cross member.

Ok sick of being on the computer. thought you would all want to see the update.

Dang.... thats one way to do it!! Nice work!!!!!

Thanks, i think i have my cousin convinced to buy a BII. he will have one, i will have one, and i have two parts BII also, four into Two, cant wait.

I like it!! Looking forward to more pics.

Wow....that's some extensive work. Congratulations on getting it together the way you planned!

I like it!! Looking forward to more pics.

I think the next set of pictures is going to be the transmission install to go to an automatic.

That or the axle swap. I now have a 8.8 and a Dana 35 ttb to put in. There is also a 4" lift that will go in when i do this.

Wow....that's some extensive work. Congratulations on getting it together the way you planned!

Yeah your telling me, it was tough, but it looks sweet and the added power is amazing.

Too bad shipping would kill there is someone selling a good tranny from a 95 explorer for $100.00 about an hour from me. Are you using a first gen ex 8.8 or are you going second gen so you have discs? Why didn't you keep the 8.8 from the explorer you used?

Too bad shipping would kill there is someone selling a good tranny from a 95 explorer for $100.00 about an hour from me. Are you using a first gen ex 8.8 or are you going second gen so you have discs? Why didn't you keep the 8.8 from the explorer you used?

Oh man, shipping should not be that bad. Maybe $90. I might have to look into that. Do you know anything else about the transmission?

I actually did keep the 8.0 from the second gen. With discs. I just have not put it in yet. im waiting until i get the transmission, then ill do the thole drive line swap. front, back, lift, transfer case, transmission, etc.

Any new updates? I would like to do the same motor swap so i wanna see how she runs.

No updates as of yet. the only thing i have done is replaced one of the rear quarter windows. Money is the limitation now. The engine runs like a top, and it has so much power. (at least compared to the old pooch of a 2.8.

If your doing this swap with this year of vehicle make sure you have almost ALL of the wires from the old vehicle. fuel pump wiring harness, transmission and transfer case wiring harness, engine and engine bay wiring harness. basically when i did the swap i pulled all the wires out of my bronco besides the four wires running to the tail lights. Those ones i just pulled out towards the back and fed them back up the passanger side. that is where the connections are for the tail lights in the 95.

If you have any questions let me know, ill help as much as i can.

One piece of advice, unless you have the time and tools to do things like cut out and replace the firewall and build new dash mounts id recommend listening to everyone else and sticking with a 91-94 explorer 4.0

No updates as of yet. the only thing i have done is replaced one of the rear quarter windows. Money is the limitation now. The engine runs like a top, and it has so much power. (at least compared to the old pooch of a 2.8.

If your doing this swap with this year of vehicle make sure you have almost ALL of the wires from the old vehicle. fuel pump wiring harness, transmission and transfer case wiring harness, engine and engine bay wiring harness. basically when i did the swap i pulled all the wires out of my bronco besides the four wires running to the tail lights. Those ones i just pulled out towards the back and fed them back up the passanger side. that is where the connections are for the tail lights in the 95.

If you have any questions let me know, ill help as much as i can.

One piece of advice, unless you have the time and tools to do things like cut out and replace the firewall and build new dash mounts id recommend listening to everyone else and sticking with a 91-94 explorer 4.0

Yah money is tight everywhere these days lol. Im not gonna worry about the new engine at the moment. I just finished mine in time for summer to come around and to go hit up the sand dunes. But as soon as fall comes im looking into a little more power lol.

stephan, that is an amazing amount of work! You're pretty much rebuilding the truck. How much easier would it be to swap in a 4.0 from a first gen ex/ranger?

stephan, that is an amazing amount of work! You're pretty much rebuilding the truck. How much easier would it be to swap in a 4.0 from a first gen ex/ranger?

Sorry guys, have not been on here in months.

The first gen is way easier because its WAY less wires. no need for the dash, no need for the firewall, basically just pull out the old engine, splice some wires, and go. There are tons of threads on the fourms about doing a first gen swap. Any help i can give i will though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now, it has been a while since i have been on here, and the main reason i came back on is to do the unfortunate......

plain and simple.... The BII is for sale..... $2,000 as is, with all the other stuff that goes along with it. Firm.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/2241242358.html

If your interested, email or call me, if you know someone that might be interested, email or call them.

It will hurt to see it go, but its time.

Back