Here she is, 96 XLT 5.0L AWD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here she is, 96 XLT 5.0L AWD

frickea86 said:
wow what did u use to clean the engine compartment, very nice a clean....great buy, you can't beat $500, nice. 86k is not bad for a 96, i got 103k on my 97.

90000 miles on my 2002...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

278K on my 88 :)

I had a very bad experiance when cleaning an engine once - cap, rotors, plugs, and wires all needed to be replaced. However, I would love to get my 2000 V8 looking like that. Can you provide a more detailed description of how you cleaned it? From your post it seemed that you used a high pressure water spray after the engine foamy stuff.

BTW, your X looks great - awesome job and awsome deal. If you are not already, you should do this for $$$$ (flipping cars that is).

Great deal. Looks a little rough, but knowing you, it will look awsome soon. That engine is amazing. I need to get some of that stuff for mine! Its terrible.

Hahahaha I have enough projects, I dont want to end up like Brett! hahaha letsee, 3 or 4 early Mustang fastbacks, none of them finished (1 close), a EB, a couple of Explorer's, a BII, a Landcruiser, and a 93 Cobra :)
Not to mention the engines and parts and what not you collect with all this stuff, no I'll stick with my 2 vehicle limit.

Okay the 96 is running perfectly now.
Took a little doing, there is a learning curve involved, I am used to the OHV 4.0L with room under the hood. All 4 02 sensors, replaced with some I had with 50K miles on them. I replaced the EGR valve and vacuum line. I cleaned the MAS, TB, upper intake, installed NGK plugs, reset the computer and all codes clear.

New shocks are awesome! I also treated the pain in some spots, removed a bunch of tree sap and started on the rear quarter panel damage. the tail light was replaced ($21.00) and I spent 6 hours cleaning the interior, all trim, seats, and carpet...wow 8 years with my bro really did a number on the carepet.....all clean now!

Okay here's how to clean the 5.0L with foamy engine brite

Get to operating temp.
Open hood and spray can(s) of engine brite. Get the firewall, get the front of the engine, get under the valve covers, around the intakes, everything you want clean.
Let sit for 5 minutes, dont breathe in the fumes!
Spray it off with low pressure rinse, you can use high pressure in some areas.
Just avoid getting the alternator, brake master cyl, and coil packs with high pressure...
With a late model engine like this, no distributor, its okay to get it wet, just dont want to get any water in the brake master, power steering, intake, etc.

Let it sit for a while (good time to wash the rest of the truck) and Blamo, you are done.
I always hit the sides of the block, the front of the block from under the truck, the oil pan and trans as much as possible too so wear some jeans you dont mind getting dirty/wet.

Now I dont do this all the time, You dont want to "soak" the engine often, but once a year or so or when you get a new truck like me...

Usually a rag and a shot every once in a while with the pressure washer is all thats needed to keep it cleaned up under there. The main reason I keep it clean is so I can see what I am working on and save the greasy hands as much as possible, so its important to get the nooks and crannies around the engine and frame.

Jaime.. where can I get replacement vacuum lines? Ford?

For what?
I hate the Ford lines they use, every chance I get I replace a run of hose with new old school style rubber vacuum line, you can get any size you need from Carquest, I know I just bought 20' worth for my BII engine project :)
The EGR valve uses 5/16" ID vacuum hose, about 2" in length from the Sensor to the valve. The stock ford piece of line fell apart in my hands....I figured that was the problem , but it was the valve itself had a tear int eh bladder.
A 96 EGR valve is NOT an easy part to track down.......it appears to be an odd year for the 5.0L, just before the P heads and nobody knew the right part number, even a Ford dealer gave me the wrong number, Courtesy Ford ended up having no issues getting me the part, or taking my $100.

410Fortune said:
Okay here's how to clean the 5.0L with foamy engine brite

Do you shut the engine off while you are doing this? Thanks for the detailed description...still nervous though

i do all of my vehicles about once every 6 months, I love keeping it all spotless...
i usually use about 5 cans of the foamy engine bright stuff for each vehicle usually do it 2 times in a row and boy do they get spotless. also spray another product made by the same company on the hoses and stuff after it is done and wow it looks ike a show engine,

yes the engine is off while being washed, this way incase you do get some water in the intake it wont suck it up.
Also water around the spark plugs and plug wires while its running can cause arching of the spark = no good.
Let it sit for a few minutes after rinsing before re-starting, the longer the better. :)

on;ly problem i had ever had was after doing it to an old camaro that i had was after i washed and rinsed it the wipers would not shut off for 3 days,

She passed emissions with flying colors :)
Took a $119 EGR valve, new plugs, new 02 sensors, some fuel system cleaner (BG) and thats it... :)
Runs like a DREAM

Back