HID installed/how to install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID installed/how to install

I finally got around to installing my HID kit on my 1996 explorer. The install took me around 1.5 hours start to finish and i thought i'd post some pics and give some brief directions about how it was done so others could do the same. At my price this kit was under $400 also, so this isn't something thats too expensive like many assume HID's are.

Here is a picture of the kit-

Attachments

• hidkitinbox.jpg
    hidkitinbox.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 575

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a comparison of the silverstar bulbs in my truck with the bulbs that are included in the kit.

also, i want to say right now that if you want the hid look these are NOT for you. These lights are bright as hell. These are substantially brighter than the HIDs that come stock on any car i have seen. If you are worried about attracting attention to yourself you do not want to consider these- get the phillips kit instead.

Attachments

• hidvssilverstar.jpg
    hidvssilverstar.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 556

so for the installation-

1. tip: wear gloves whenever you are going to be even close to handling the bulbs.

2. step one is to find a suitable mounting place for the ballasts. They come with sheet metal screws and a 3m foam tape type backing. Clean the are and attach them with the backing then screw them into the sheet metal with the screws. I found a good place as you can see in the picture but you can find your own if you choose-

Attachments

• hidballastmounted.jpg
    hidballastmounted.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 558

next i prepared the bulbs that were included in the kit. since this kit is only low beams (and you won't miss the brights- plus i have piaa driving lights which i will wire as my brights later once i reinstall them) you need to run a diode so that the hids are on when the stalk is in both positions. The diode is included in the kit and after installation it looks like this-

Attachments

• hidbrightdiodeon.jpg
    hidbrightdiodeon.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 554

next i removed the stock bulbs from the housings and directly plugged in the new ones in their place. That simple, no modifications needed etc.

After doing that i was able to ditch the gloves and start worrying about wiring it all up. All of the connections from the ballasts to the lights were simply plug and play and took about 2 minutes to hook up. Then all i had left was to give the kit power. There are two way of doing this-

1. use the stock bulb socket pluggy thing and plug in the three wires to the right part of it

2. clip the stock thing and solder

i decided to solder mine since i wont' be going back to factory lighting at any time in the future. You may want to do the other option. So i clipped stripped and soldered the proper wires

Attachments

• hidclippedharness.jpg
    hidclippedharness.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 546

after soldering i heat wrapped and taped it up real good and stuffed it out of sight. jumped in the truck and threw the switch.... BOOM i was in awe

Attachments

• hidfronton.jpg
    hidfronton.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 566

they are a real nice color- not too blue and very, very bright. I can't really compare them to anything i have seen on the road. they are 7,000 K which is a little bluer than a new bmw with hid, but they are much brighter.

Attachments

• hidsideshoton.jpg
    hidsideshoton.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 522

i went and drove around for a while to test them out and i am very pleased with the way they perform on the road. If a white car is in front of my at a headlight it actually hurts my eyes lol. I also caught a bunch of people checking them out/staring- but that may have been the music too or the...

Attachments

• hid50video.jpg
    hid50video.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 533

actually, not yet

i have them aimed pretty well. they aren't too bad standing off to an angle even.

i want some of those!!!!!!:eek:

Nice write up and even nicer lights. Way to go.
If you get a chance I would really like to see what the beam pattern looks like on a garage door or wall at 10' to 20' or so.

yeah, i'll get pics of a garage door later tonight hopefully.

if you want them shoot me an email

yeah i want a set of those:D

looks great homie

Expo,

I think you should at least put a disclaimer in this thread that you had converted your front end to a '01 Mountaineer front end that was setup for HID's right??? or am I wrong?

Otherwise they look awesome..... *starts thinking*

Lookin good Drew!! You have so many projects going on all the time, it's hard to keep up with them. ;)

it will work the same with the regular explorer front end- the finished result just might not be quite as pretty.

However, they will still be a great improvement over stock etc.

A few ?'s

I've been dickering with the idea of aftermarket HID's since my last vehicle....I've just got a few questions though...1) I've heard both sides of this, but need a true answer: Do or Do not HID's place any extra stress on your stock wiring/harnesses/switches, etc? Your kit looks great! Just the look I'd be going for--not too showy, a little blue tint and hella (no pun intended) bright! 2) What kind of kit did you pick up? 3) Where did you pick it up? 4) How much?--you said "At my price this kit was under $400 also, so this isn't something thats too expensive like many assume HID's are."..........What would my price be?

Thanks Expo....looking forward to your response.
BH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is a 7,000 K kit. i can get them in 4200 6000 7000 and 7500. mine is real "blue" looking but you might want the 6000.

this kit is unbranded and is put together from parts of different kits by someone outside of the states. that is not to say it isn't of great quality (and i think the pics of its packaging and construction speak to that) I can distribute the kits here and i get a good rate. of course the rate depends on how many people want them- but if you wanted them right now i'd say 425 shipped.

as for the strain- these draw 35 watts of power according to the manual and info that came with them. They blew my stock fuses inside the truck after about 20 seconds but i replaced them and it has been fine. I do intend to rewire my lights though using my own relays so that it is safer with the system (and because i want to use my piaa pro90 xts and control them from the same switch and stalk)

i can and probably will do a right up of any other modifications i do as i do them.

Back