For those who've installed HID fog lights, how the heck do you plug them in? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For those who've installed HID fog lights, how the heck do you plug them in?

Greg_DonWindsor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited V8 4x4
I have a question for those of you who have installed HID fog lights on your second gen. I've searched the topic, read that the 9006 bulbs are supposed to be a direct fit, but I am having a problem connecting the HID bulbs to the stock foglight connector, pictured below.

FOGconnector.jpg

The part of the new HID bulb that is supposed to hook up to that connector is much wider, and the pins do not line up. Pictured below,

HIDconnector.jpg

Could someone, anyone, please tell me how you were able to pull this off? I've had this kit for over a year now, purchased a number of different bulbs to try and make it work, and have had no luck whatsoever. I have a 5000km road trip beginning next week, and the enhanced visibility would be a welcome modification so that I'm able to drive longer hours at night without straining my eyes.

Thanks in advance to whoever can help me shine some light on this situation! ;)

-Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when I did mine, I had to buy the actual HID kit (vehicle specific). the connectors on the HID ballast plugged right in, but the HID bulbs won't just plug and play. they do make a 9006 HID wanna be (Not True HID) bulbs, that do not require a ballast, that will plug and play.

That's what I'm saying, I bought the specific conversion kit, and the connectors don't match.

The kit I bought ha a jumper wire, the trucks connector did not match the connector on the HID ballast. It was basically connector pins that went directly to the trucks connector, and then it went to the special his ballast connector.

Can you post pics of how you did it?

I don't see why not I'll take pictures tomorrow some time, and hopefully I can post them tomorrow night, I have been swamped at work, and am going out to dinner tomorrow, so I will try to find some time to get everything up.

Appreciate it, it's been bothering me for a while I haven't been able to get these to work. One of my fog bulbs recently burned out so I'd rather get to the bottom of this than buy a set of halogen replacements that I'd be getting rid of shortly.

my 98 explorer has a hid instilled in the fog lamps the bulb im using is 899 hid bulb the socket you are showing is the same like mine i have on my explorer
here link. https://www.maxmosport.com/light-bulb-guide
to show you Cross Reference on some headlight and fog lamp bulbs
i get my hids from this shop here in Brooklyn i hope this will help with this problem

So from that reference chart you're saying an 880 HID bulb is the same as an 899 which you're using? Because they only list the part# 880 for sale, not 899 specifically, and they don't show a picture of the connector. Sorry man I'm still lost. And I'm not buying a 4th pair of bulbs only to find out that they also don't work. Can you help clarify on this?

Thanks Red, if that's all it takes and this works, I owe you one!

-Greg

no problem greg

Greg- Judging by your pictures and description, it sounds like you are trying to plug the HID bulbs straight into the Explorers fog light plug.

Thats wrong, you need a Ballast for each bulb. The Explorers plug will plug into the ballast, and then the ballast has an output that will match that bulbs plug.

Borrowed this pic from Google.

This is what you need. Bulbs, and Ballasts. (One ballast per bulb)

The battery in this picture represents your stock Explorers connector.

hids_zpsd5eeadd3.jpeg

Greg- Judging by your pictures and description, it sounds like you are trying to plug the HID bulbs straight into the Explorers fog light plug.

Thats wrong, you need a Ballast for each bulb. The Explorers plug will plug into the ballast, and then the ballast has an output that will match that bulbs plug.

I'm even more clueless now. Can you post a picture to showe how to connect it properly? None of the plugs on the ballast or any of the bulbs I've bought look like they'll work. I'm definitely visual, that wiring diagram makes no sense to me. I need to see it on someone's truck so I can figure this out.

So you DO have ballasts?

I was going through my old build thread, I thought I did a write up on my fogs, but didnt.

Explorers foglight plug > ballast > HID bulb is how it will hook up.

From your original post, it looked/sounded like you were trying to plug the explorers foglight plug right into the HID bulb without the ballast.

Yes I have the ballasts.

And your bulbs fit in the sockets of the foglight housing fine?

If yes, (Im pretty sure this is what I did on my Explorer, if not, ive done it on other installs) I would just cut the connector off both the explorers stock connector, find out what one is positive, and what one is negative, and snip the ballast connector tip off and match the wires like that. I would solder, electrical tape and heat shrink them just to protect from moisture.

Well, I'm right back to where I started, which is having no sweet clue how to do this.

Ballast.jpg

So what you guys are saying is I haven't hooked my ballasts up to the bulb properly? I just don't see any other way, there seems to be only one way to hook all these connectors together, as pictured above. And the connector that's right next to the bulb should be where the fog light connector attaches to isn't it? I am so beyond lost and frustrated. Can someone at least tell me if I bought the wrong part so I don't think I'm going ####ing crazy over here?!? Please help. Please. Anyone. Pictures of how you did it on your truck would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and I just don't see what my issue is with this.

The connector on the far right of this picture is the one that was initially posted at the top of this thread. Again my problem is that it seems to be too wide for the stock explorer connector to plug into.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats hooked up right, but definitely the wrong connector to connect it to the Explorers foglight plug.

You can either wait for someone to chime in and tell you exactly what plug you'll need to order, or you can just snip the plugs on either side and connect the wires directly. Thats all the plugs are doing, but you wont have to wait for someone to tell you what ones, then find them online, order, pay and wait for them to be shipped.

Back