High milage explorers? | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High milage explorers?

225k and running great. Runnin BFG AT K/O's all the way around. Got the good old drilled air box under the hood with a K&N and a flowmaster 50 series muffler and catback system on the tail end. Also added some platnum spark plugs for a little more kick. and to top it off a new clutch and remachined flywheel for the manny tranny and she hooks up fast a furious.She probably runs better then when i got her about 8 years ago and she purrs like a lion too. Bout the most reliable truck i'll ever come across i'm sure. next step... a james duff 2.5" lift.
Rich :D :D :D:D :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 1998 XLT 5.0V8 now has 106,000 miles on it. Things that i have replaced:
- 4 new rotors
-2 sets of brakes
-3 sets of tires. the third set was free from Ford
-Front driveshaft
-Transfer Case - that was expensive.
-4 new shocks
-AIC valve
-Battery
-Front differential welded (defect)
-Upper and lower ball joints
-tons of light bulbs

I love my truck but for the three years it has actually been on the road (it wasnt driven for almost a year) ive got way too many miles on it and ive spent close to $10,000 dollars in gas on it . that sucks.. im just tryin to hold it together till the end of next year when im getting a brand new f250 xtra cab :D :D

I have a 1995 XLT with 150,000 miles. Nothing major replaced except fornt and rear brakes, and normal maintance. GREAT TRUCK!!!

1992 XLT 4 Door w/94,000 miles.
Replaced:
TStat
Radiator
Upper/Lower Hoses
Valve Cover Gaskets
Little plastic piece inside the door to open it from the outside
Rear Wiper (Was the original)

91 xlt 4wd 113,000 hrs (ya right)

lets see when i first got it the thermostat was bad(about 6 mos and 20,000 miles ago)

-complete brake overhaul 500 miles ago
im talkin all rotors, assemblies, lines, pads drums, Everything.
them sons of biatches would get stuck and make the whole thing wibble wobble at 40 mph, and my rotors caught on fire once. my fault for driving with sticky brakes

- after the 3" bl the manual 4x shifter plate had to be trimmed, its still hard to shift to 4L to 4H to 2H, needs more trimming i guess...

- tranny is a little jumpy

- cassette player doesnt work

- tires wont grow...i dont know why, i water them every day!

- all four speakers blown and its NOT MY FAULT! :shoot:

nothin else seems to be wrong yet. :chug: i still need to to reconnect my parking brake, since it doesnt seem to be reconnecting itself.

1997 XLT 107,000MI. 4.0 SOHC
tHE ONLY THING I REPLACED IS THE THERMOSTAT KNOCK ON WOOD!

95 XLT w/ 130K

I bought this truck in 97 w/ 28k.

Pretty much just put basic maint into it. Oil, brakes, shocks, etc. Still doesn't leak a drop of oil. Had the front ball joints replaced at about 100k.

One of my buddies has an 01 and has been having some strange problems though. He traded in his 91 that had 250k with no problems.....so he's a little disgusted with the 01.

Troutman

i have a 93' Xlt with 111,300 miles and the only thing that it has needed replaced was the fuel pump(sending unit) -new plugs and wires- new shocks and door bushings. besides that it is in perfect running condition:D

1996 XLT
165,000 miles

Windshield a couple of times
Bug Deflector (damn bugs)
Tires

Looks brand new - not a scratch on it :D

someone with the right connections should print this out and send it to the explorer engineers or quality control. maybe they could remedy some of these problems before assembly...

'91 XLT w/ 212k miles

Normal tune up stuff, modulator, trans is going to need rebuilt as of late, O2 sensor

suprisingly, the trans has been great for me but the overdrive quite about 5k miles ago, and the best thing is that it has the most comfortable seats ever and that alone makes it worth its weight in gold

oh, and I do have that lifter clatter problem like most others

I have been getting a severe case of the "trade in time' blues lately........

I bought my 94 Explorer in November of 99 with 64k on the ticker.....truck had new brakes and new exhaust when I bought it....I now have 89k on her and wondering if she will be able to go the distance....

I have replaced rear axle seals, rear brakes, including wheel cylinders, front brakes twice, including new calipers (TWO new ones for the passenger side)......replaced Auto hubs with Warn manuals (one was starting to jump in and out on me on its own)......tranny blew at about 76k or so, while on vacation (that was a $2700 owie)......minor body related items like lower inside door edges rusty.....underbody on floor pans there is rust...working on wire brushing/priming/rustoleuming this stuff....

Have been drooling over the 2002s, but the price tag hurts....I am still paying off my 94, and I owe more than it is blue booked for......

Reading the high mileage stories here makes me feel a little better....I still like the truck a lot as far as ride and looks, although it COULD use some more ponies....overall a solid truck.......

I am considering an aftermarket tranny cooler....

95 explorer

I have a 95 explorer with 90,000

plugs / wires
rack & pinion
thats it so far.

91 XLT 4X4 156,000 Bought in 98 or 99 w/ 65,000

Replaced:

Front Rotors (3x)
Front pads (5x)
Radius Arm Bushings
All 4 ball joints
Steering Gear
Passenger Side Real Axle seal
Sub woofer
plug wires
front brake lines (rubber hoses)
brake master cylinder & resivoir
tranny filter
tires (1.5x)
Calipers
Rear brake cylinders and shoes
T-stat (2x)
battery & - battery cable

Needs:
Radiator
new lifters (pushrods are making noise)
steering stabilzier
A/C not working
steering is loose again
+ battery cable
hood needs painting

Brian

97 AWD V8 XLT

97 XLT v8

Other than regular maintenance and 30K and 60K checkups done by the dealership (no more of that):

- Rear diff shaft seal replaced
- rattling cat cover...tore off (F' getting it repaired)
-Leaking tranny cooler fittings and hose - tightened, OK now
- Paint is chipping off tailgate top. Chrome plated plastic grille is losing its plating (yellow and rough underneath), despite waxing and keeping in garage 80% of the time.
- cant get passenger door to stop squeaking, despite grasing every pin, hinge, pivot and seal that contacts it.
- Wierd thunk in tranny area about 5 seconds after starting it (occasionally)
- grinding sound that eminates from the transfer case area...dealership says it is a loose emergency brake cable housing...I looked and cant find anything. Sounds like one of those "curb alert" wires rubbing the curb. Transfer case is OK, so its not that.
- Loose left rear window motor , repaired under warranty
- Loose remote antenna (on truck), replaced under warranty
- A LOT of wierd electrical problems...intermittent wiper has a mind of its own, power locks decided not to work for a week...fixed itself and haven't had the problem again in 30K miles, crappy map light contacts require periodic "adjustment" (they are a brass foil, rather than a solid contact), other stuff
- accelerator cable sticks alot and requires frequent oiling

93 XLT 2WD update

167,000 miles - Time for another trans overhaul (will be the 3rd time) - first gear slips completely on the first 2 or 3 shifts of the day.

JBL Premium stereo works intermittantly - sub woofer blown.

Also, paint peeling at top of lift gate in the rear and above front windshield, along roof drain areas.

The tranny is my biggest complaint about this truck -
Ford really nailed us with this piece of crap for their A4LD; ask any transmission shop - they love 'em.

By the way - I just bought a 2002 XLS - really, really a nice truck!

'91 140k(just turned to 140k no rounding) 4dr 4x4 5 spd

i havent done much but replace
clutch tires (pathfinders 30x9.5x15.6)
spark plugs/wires
stereo

things i need to do
drop in V8(bored and balanced and blueprinted)
new trans
new transfer case
4" lift
a layer of dynamat and a cd changer

**any body need or want running boards and/or a roof bike rack**

I feel I've been real lucky
92 Sport Auto w/ 155K
-Just regular oil changes air filter and breaks till 100K
-110K replaced power stearing pump, and u-joint in rear drive shaft
-120K rear drums replaced, and all 4 shocks
-140K replaced orignal pulgs and wires!!!
-145K replaced fluids in t-case and front/rear diffs, and flushed tranny
-also 2 batteries, and 3 exhaust from muffler back
-and tires of course
I tow a trailer with 3 big atvs (~3000#'s) weekly, Trans still seems strong but I got my fingers crossed every time i drive it;)

96 xlt
Thermostat (heater control valve, whatever)
But I am still leaking coolant and running hot every once in a while.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

99,000 and counting

Just flipped 99,000!, still only 4 things wrong since I had it (3yrs)

1) Thermostat
2) Blower motor for a/c fan
3) Hose split allowing coolant to spurt out (easy fix)
4) Tensioner body broke off the bolt

No fix has costed more than $55.00
No major work needed either! Wheeww! Best vehicle I have ever owned, new or used. Bought it with 69,000 miles...haven't even touched the brakes yet! God, I luv this truck! You couldn't PAY ME to trade it in on ANYTHING else.

Purrs like a kitten (except for an occasional rough idle) and I plan on adding a tranmission cooler so I can tow my ATV around. :p

Back