High milage explorers? | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High milage explorers?

gen 1 explorer maint tips

hi, i'm on my 2nd '92 explorer 4x4 and have had to do quite a lot of work to both of them. that's mostly due to the previous owners neglect. my first one i bought at a dealer and it had 158,000 on it. it had sat for at least a year prior to it being traded. it had serious valve clatter, notorious on 4.0's after 150,000. i left that alone though because it ran pretty good. the first thing was to replace basically the whole front end. upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer wheel bearings on both sides, both auto hubs were replaced with manual lock-outs from Mile Marker (lifetime warr.) and new u-joints were added to both shafts. all this before it hit 159,000. new brakes and new rear cyl. and front lines were added later, that fall also. in the first two months of owning it, all the cooling system hoses were replaced along with the heater core, which was by-passed when i purchased it, which is why i suspect it sat for awhile at least a year. all was well until the first part of june last year, when it started running rough. first thought was cats. but i still had plenty of power so i rulled that out. then it stalled and the engine froze. thougt i threw a rod. opened up the breather and looked past the throttle body into the plennum and it was full of gas. not being to knowlegable about these engines, called my neighbor whose dad is a mechanic, mostly old school and a/c&r so, also not to knowlegable on newer stuff. he suggested injectors. so i bought 6 new injectors and installed them, along with new wires, plugs, fuel filter, and an oil and filter change. tried to start and it did the same thing. MAN, was i po'd. sat there a while and had a smoke, then it hit me. when i pulled the fuel press. reg. off, fuel came out the vaccum connection. the diaphram inside was shot, (dry rot), causing the whole vacuum system to fill with fuel, including the cruise control and heater vent duct lines. anyway replaced the press. reg and oil and filter again, and all was well. lots of gas in the oil though, which i think cleaned it out a bit. it had never ran as good. injectors were bad anyway so i didn't really wayste my money.
later that summer i replaced the clutch fan, that helped the a/c blow a little cooler. replaced the water pump too. when it finally started cooling off in the fall, (i'm in Iowa) the tranny started acting up. she had about 170,000 on by now. wouldn't shift out of first when it was cold out, until the tranny warmed up. she finally lost first and reverse all together. still drove it for two months before finding a different '92 on E-Bay. got one with a 5-speed this time. Love it! but as usuall, it needed all the front end parts. i kept the old truck, and swapped the whole front end out. saved a bunch of money. i've used alot of parts from that old truck and still have most parts. engine still ran strong at 178,000 mi. still have tranny too. going to rebuild it, unless someone wants to swap me for a good one! i will continue to buy gen 1 'sploders. they are very reliable trucks. :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know trucks generally don't last as long as cars, but to have to practically build yourself a new car at 150K and still say they are reliable, makes zero sense to me. I've had 3 foreign cars that all lasted over 200K with no major repairs. One lasted 350K before I needed to replace a brake caliper. My 97 exploder has needed some major repairs at 60K. Stuff I NEVER had to replace on other cars. ANd that doesn't even BEGIN to consider all the little annoying things, like dome lights that never worked for more than a week, a radio that doesn't remember presets or the time, impossible to get to bulbs in the dash, $400 brake lights, and a million squeeks, rattles and bumps. I F*ckin hate my Explorer. Glad I don't drive it.

I dont understand that statement?

How do cars last longer than trucks?

I have 256K miles on my 88 BII :)
You dont have time to read the list of things I have replaced........

gen 1 maint tips.

sorry to hear you say that. but i would choose my American made FORD, over any Jap puddle hopper anyday. Maybe ive got to work on it once in a while, but first of all i enjoy that. Second, as i stated in the article, most of the work i had to do was due to neglect on the previous owners part. Granted, things break and maybe your rice burners are better cars. So what! to each his own.

I have a 91 eb it just turned 270,000 today only major break was the tranny at 220,000 low fluid.

I had 2 Hondas before my Ford. Both of them could not take the abusiveness of my driving style. The Ford is having no problems taking the abuse though. I'll never own an import again. Well, with the exception of my Mercedes.

I love my X but....

no way it outlasts any Honda. I have a company honda with 300,000 and still runs fine, the motor and tranny were never touched other than maintenance issues. Hondas are prob one of the most reliable cars in the world. A friend of mine has a civic that commutes with every day...265k and still going strong!!!!

I F*ckin hate my Explorer. Glad I don't drive it.
And you're on a Ford Explorer enthusiast's board? :rolleyes:
no way it outlasts any Honda
I necessarily say that, nor would I say Hondas are unreliable. I've driven both and to be honest, my Ford has always been the most trustworthy but the Honda was (2001 civic) had some hard miles before. It's my friend's car and he has had some nasty problems with it, though by the way he drives I can't really blame the car ;)
Our company honda (98) croaked at 130K miles.

98 4x4 Sport

Upper/Lower intake gaskets (before i found out about the recall)
Normal stuff - plugs, tranny filter, fuel filter, tires, of course oil an filter, air filter, MAF, brakes (ready for new again),

My '97 just now hit 107k...the only things I've had to replace are minor parts like the thermostat and the IAC, so it's been real good so far (knock on wood :hammer: ).

Now it's time to change the oil.

Ha.

I've got a 96 Explorer Sport. It's got 153,467 miles on it.

It runs like new :)

Re: I love my X but....

Originally posted by maxxus
no way it outlasts any Honda. I have a company honda with 300,000 and still runs fine, the motor and tranny were never touched other than maintenance issues. Hondas are prob one of the most reliable cars in the world. A friend of mine has a civic that commutes with every day...265k and still going strong!!!!

I once saw a mid 80's Volvo 240 with 300K, and one time over 400K miles on it. And it still goes on the road. With proper maintenance and going easy on the engine last longer life. No doubt that Volvo and Hondas too are good vehicles that last so many miles.

My 1993 Explorer LTD has 205,000 miles all highway and never touched engine and tranny. Only major repair it had was the plugged radiator which had to be replaced at 184K.

hit 100,000!i love my baby!!

91 eb 270,000 yesterday only one trany rebuild,anybody beat that.

155,400 and some change , never rebuilt trans works fine except minor ft. seal leak..
see my website for mods n stuff.
DPFE sensor replaced, ALternator and batterty, radio is on its way out, no OIL LEAKS!!!!

Apples and Oranges. Cars and 4x4s have different maintance needs.

Originally posted by 410Fortune
I dont understand that statement?

How do cars last longer than trucks?

I have 256K miles on my 88 BII :)
You dont have time to read the list of things I have replaced........

no way it outlasts any Honda.

Hmmm. Considering it outlasted 2 of my Hondas, I would say that statement is FALSE.

99 sport sohc 104,000miles!
a lot huh! yeah well its daily driven... took it to vegas a lot of times..... i just make sure i do the scheduled maintenance! any suggestions on what i should do...

i changed the fuel filter...
battery....
I don't have a spare tire anymore....
of yeah the major part that had to be chaned was the thermostat!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's great for snow, and I need it to tow and go surf fishin, but for day to day use, I hate it.

What's so freakin ironic is all the people I've read who feel it's normal to have to fix their Ex's all the time, but then say they're reliable. Let's see...buy an Explorer for $25K+ and sink thousands in parts into it in the first 100K, or buy a Honda Civic for 14K , and after 200K you're only payin for, umm, fluids, tires and brakes. Do the math

I realize that some people have their Ex's for 100's of K's with no problems, but the impression I get on this group from both those who love and those who hate (no, I'm not the only one) their Ex's, is that the majority have to Fix Or Repair Daily. Labor of love or not, that costs you.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I F*ckin hate my Explorer. Glad I don't drive it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you're on a Ford Explorer enthusiast's board?

quote:
no way it outlasts any Honda

I necessarily say that, nor would I say Hondas are unreliable. I've driven both and to be honest, my Ford has always been the most trustworthy but the Honda was (2001 civic) had some hard miles before. It's my friend's car and he has had some nasty problems with it, though by the way he drives I can't really blame the car
Our company honda (98) croaked at 130K miles.

Back