High picthed engine whine

99ex22

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wilsonville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer
Alright I have a strange high picthed whine coming from my motor. Ive been trying to figure it out for a couple days now with no luck. The more gas I give it the higher picthed it gets. It kinda sounds like a weak supercharger. The first thing I did when it started to whine was take the drive belt off and start it up to see if it was a pully problem....Wine was still there. From what I can tell it sounds like it's coming from the plastic intake manifold but that gasket is only a little over a year old. Any ideas? Thanks,

-Russ 99 4.0L SOHC 163,000

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whine like a metal-to-metal whine or air turbulance whine?

Use a piece of garden hose and use it as a type of stethoscope to pinpoint the location. Check first in the are of the IAC (idle air controller) located on the driver side of the intake.

it's a air turbulance type whine. Im going to drive it and get a video/sound so you guys can hear. It's definatly not the transmission.

Thats was my first thought too so I took the belt off, started it up and it still did it.

if it can I think you may be correct. I crawled underneath it and it does seem to be the loudest in the torque converter area. If that is the case, is it something I should worry about?

It sounds like the torque converter-pump in the transmission to me--:dunno:

That would be my guess too.

Maybe do a trans flush?

97sprt4x4- I have yet to figure it out. The truck runs and drives like it always has if not better because Ive fixed alot of stuff on it recently.
jlsparky7- The transmission fluid, filter, pan gasket is brand spankin new (royal Purple Fluid) And has been changed every 30K since it was new.\

Any other thoughts?

On the 95 im looking at tomorrow, theres a whine, and we figured it out to be the alternator starting to go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back