High revvin Xcal2 Racin | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High revvin Xcal2 Racin

lol.. wtf is with the title?.. haha..

Anyways..
I guess my main question would be is.. how much can the 5.0L take? How much of a rev is too much?
If I'm hard on it, it'll get to 6000rpms before it shifts.. and it shifts Hard... [I kinda like it.. I don't know if it's good.. but yea..]

If 6krpm's are too much, I was thinking I would down the "D" Rev Limit to 5000rpms or 5500rpms.. or whatever is the safe max..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see, well thanks for telling me that. Whenever I get some more gas. [Don't even say it MG... lol..]

I'll get this tune just right.
On a side note, here's a stupid question:
By just under, did you mean where it's at? Or just a degree away from the ping? =\ [I think I just confused myself.. =P ]

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well that is the key, when you hear the pinging, the timing is too far advanced.

You can't tune it by ear, pinging is pre-ignition, the mixture is firing before piston is high enough, some of the mixture is firing earlier and fighting the rest. The multiple flame fronts are hitting each other etc. This is my recollection of how to explain it.

Pure detonation is when the combustion is way early and is pushing down on the piston well before it gets to the top. Pinging is the symptom that you hear which hints that you are about to have true detonation, which will destroy pistons etc.

The big point to learn is that pinging is bad at any time. With a basically stock vehicle the tune is conservative enough that typically any pinging heard won't be catastrophic.

When you are truly altering the tune(which you are), the difference between harmless pinging like stock and basically detonation is too small to tell. Don't try to tune it simply by ear, rely as much as possible on the tune parameters from James. He uses tools like the A/F ratio and experience to massage the curves. Actual time trials are the best. Moving in any direction from the best timing will hurt times.

The power will fall off when the timing gets too advanced, and still before any pinging is heard. Thus if you hear pinging, let off the gas quickly. Work on it slowly to get it right.

very well said.

X2

As mentioned before, the ping is only heard for a split second only as I punch it. [with OD off, or in a certain gear, like 2nd for example]

So only when there's a lot of load on it. What would that mean? I still need to back it off a little bit I know.. but why only when I punch it?.. That's kind of odd, isn't it?

It is extremely common to hear a ping at the highest load points like when going up a hill at moderate throttle. So it has been noticeable as you cross that load range. That sounds very minor, but keep paying close attention to it all, you are doing well.

It's not even when I'm going up a hill, it's only when I punch it... for that second of giving it all that gas... It's like the engine is "stretching" lol.. but I understand what you mean by the load..

So is this something I should correct? Or not worry about too much? Needless to say, ping is very bad.. but it's only under a certain condition... but I guess.. like you said.. it's a hint that something is not right... I guess it wouldn't hurt to back the timing down. [Would help actually, as far as engine health goes anyways..]

Thanks for all your help, you're very informative.

I think it's odd and that's why I stated to make sure it was a ping. I'm not sure why you hear this only when first punching it. I could start guessing but that wouldn't do you any good. I think this is better left for your tuner.

I <3 my 5 speed transmission and 240hp. Wish I could've picked up an Ex w/ the v8 and 4x4 but pickings was slim so i had to settle for AWD.

what are the results after pulling the timing?

I haven't done it yet. I'm going to do it in a few days.

Could I possibly fix this by using that octane boost?

If so, then could I possibly push the timing farther?

From what I can tell, the ping is only from around 3-5k rpm. So I guess that's what I have to turn the timing down for..

Anyone have any idea on this one..

I had a test tune for 90 octane for my truck.. because I was having pinging problems.. and it worked pretty good. I had James send me a final tune of the exact file (with the options unlocked) and it pinged like crazy.... he didn't change a single thing, and neither did I.. we have no idea....

any explanations? ideas?... anything?! I don't really wanna pay again for more work on the tune.. specially if there's a problem on my side.... but this whole tune thing doesn't make sense at all..

First, try uploading the tune again and don't modify anything.

Second, if it still pings, run it for awhile without getting in it. After about three days or 5 complete cold starts warming up to driving temps, see if it still has the problem. If it doesn't, I have a feeling what it might be. If it does, i'm lost.

I'm actually leaning toward my MAF now. I've cleaned it, and the occurance of the ping changed. I'm going to replace it, along with my IAC and see how the orginal first tune works out. (3K rpm idle isn't very fun... lol..)

If your truck is still pinging once stabbing the throttle you could have James adjust the "Tip In Spark Retard Table for Change In AM". There have been cases where an SCT value file will zero this out.

I don't have the money right now, he wants to charge for anymore changes to this tune. I guess he got fed up with all of this.

Anyways, I really do believe this can be solved.. with a new MAF. If that doesn't fix it............................. I'm just gonna push this thing off a bridge.

Just hang in there. James can't do everything for free although some of us would like that. He does have a family to feed.

What kind of new MAF are you talking about?

Just stock, I think my original isn't doing so well. I've cleaned it.. but... yea... ping... plus I KNOW my IAC valve is going... and if that's going.. yeah... lots of nasty **** has been sucked through both I'm sure..

I've cleaned both, but from certain symptoms.. I know it didn't cure the problems 100%.

Back