High revvin Xcal2 Racin | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High revvin Xcal2 Racin

lol.. wtf is with the title?.. haha..

Anyways..
I guess my main question would be is.. how much can the 5.0L take? How much of a rev is too much?
If I'm hard on it, it'll get to 6000rpms before it shifts.. and it shifts Hard... [I kinda like it.. I don't know if it's good.. but yea..]

If 6krpm's are too much, I was thinking I would down the "D" Rev Limit to 5000rpms or 5500rpms.. or whatever is the safe max..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I was lowered (with all my mods) I raced a sohc sport with just exhaust and 4:10s. I only had about a car at 60.

You also have to think your v8 is a 4 speed auto and the 98+ sohcs are 5 speed autos.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

devilboy; i know what you mean, the sohc wont spin the tires from a stop going straight, but the ohv will do it pretty good!

Are the stock 2 doors really this quick?
Yes a stock sohc will move,quickly!

yes, my moms 5.0 awd (with only 45,000 miles) would be eaten by my sohc sport, i raced a 4 door sohc in my moms and we were dead even, so..... yeah having driven both id say the sport sohc would whoop a 5.0
Maybe not whoop one but I bet there would be a new respect!

What no1 has mentioned is that these engines drop power when they go above 4700-4800 rpm. when you rev it up to high all you get is waste of gas and less power while messing up your tranny
What engine are you talking about, the sohc will cleanly pull to 6K n/a'd!

Typically-
you want the rev limiter just out of raange from where you are actually using power-
in other words-
moving the rev limiter down would cause a loss of power from the alternating misfire induced-

I'd play with the shift points-if it was me.

I know how we can check your tach though--

shift the gear selector to 2
now-accelerate slowly-at about 30mph punch it and hold it floored-

if you can hit 80 mph in 2nd gear you will be around5700- 5800 rpm's.

now--do this and tell us at what vehicle speed the limiter kicks in. I'm curious.

Ya know.. anytime I punch it like that... I get a horrible ping sound for just a moment as I punch it..... why?

You need to run the premium fuel.

Have you played with the fuel trims? Leaned on the air fuel ratio?

I am running Premium, which is 90 octane. Which is what the tune was made for.

Should I make the A/F ratio for wot rich? [I actually think it's 2.0% rich]
I've tried changing the timing up a couple degrees with no change.. I don't want to change things way too far from what James has them at.

It's only for just a second when I punch it.

Back the timing off all the way-

then see if the knock goes away. If it does, you can bump the timing back up until you hear it again, then back it down one setting. This should put you just right with the universe.

Am I gonna lose a lot of performance?

And by back it off.. do you mean add or subtract?..

And throughout the entire RPM range or just the affected part?

Do the affected rpm range if you can identify it. BTW, premium is not the same every where. Here we have 93 octane premium, which will affect the timing which can be run. Keep an eye out for better gas.

In the menu, I can subtract a degree or add it... and that's timing, right? Spark Advance?

In the menu, I can subtract a degree or add it... and that's timing, right? Spark Advance?

Since you obviously have no clue what this stuff is all about, it would be prudent to leave it alone.

Whatever dude, you're not helping.

Since you obviously have no clue what this stuff is all about, it would be prudent to leave it alone.

Whatever dude, you're not helping.

He may not be helping with your question, but he is correct. You can tear your engine up fiddling with things that you don't understand.

All I'm trying to do is fix that ping [If that's what ping is] when I punch it, that's all really. I'm trying to fix a slight problem with the tune.

Am I correct or not? [Not to sound rude or demanding at all.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by storlied View Post
And by back it off.. do you mean add or subtract?..
Aldive: Huh?

"In the menu, I can subtract a degree or add it... and that's timing, right? Spark Advance?"

Sounds to me like the simplest solution is not to punch it- an easier driving style will increase your MPG, an important thing when gas is above $4 a gallon.

"Spark advance" and "timing" are the same thing as far as the tuner is concerned.

But, seriously, if you don't know that timing and spark advance are- you need to read up and learn some engine concepts as has been recommended time and time again. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you need to invest some time and effort into your own education to have a solid understanding of what is happening under your hood so you can speak intelligently on the subject and get more out of your vehicle.

make sure this is a ping.

You subtract. Do like JT said, subtract like 5 degrees and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then add 2 degrees and try again. If success, do one more time. If not, pull it back out.

If you know the RPM this is occuring then you'd pull timing from that RPM only. Have James do this.

Yes, you're going to lose a little performance doing this but that's better than losing an engine.

James set's the options for what you can do and he's very safe. That means if there's an option that you shouldn't be messing with, then he's locked it out. Then again, it's not fool proof.

I'm not completely clueless to this, I've learned a bit about this. [and I'm still learning more]
What was the real issue here? I was confirming what I knew and someone attacked me.
The issue was the ping, and what I should do to get rid of it, even though it's small.. it's Not good.

Ping happens when there's an inbalance in the air/fuel with the spark timing, correct? Changing the timing [spark advance] can solve this combustion "error"

I may have gotten some terms wrong, but that's the jist of it AFAIK.

I'll do as you mentioned, it was the same thing I had to do when I was troubleshooting it to begin with... when it would ping anytime the pedal was pushed... that was scary.. lol.. [mixed fuel caused this and I had to back the timing down quite a bit until I had the tank full of 90 octane]
No one is going to get this stuff down perfectly the 1st time, I'm getting it "just" right and it takes some testing and time. I really do appreciate the help.

The best power will come from just under the timing that causes the pinging, confirmed with timed or dyno testing. Be very careful, and conservative, the V8 has no knock retard sensor or function. In the V6's the PCM is supposed to retard the timing if it is too high. The V8 Fords never got a knock sensor.

Back