Hill Start Assist Failure | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hill Start Assist Failure

They replaced a data module. It happened to the tech several times. Replaced a gateway module and test drove 28 miles no issues. I picked it up and actually ran better than when I dropped it off. Time will tell. I posted the work order here.
Please forgive me, but I like the part where it says "unable to ****". 🤣

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sent a link of this thread to my dealers service manager. Hopefully it helps to diagnose and repair our issues.......

Well after 50 miles it felt as if i put it in park going about 25 mph came to stop and shifter went into park by itself. Restarted and its fine. Going back to dealer. Has 3500 miles on it. If they can’t replace fix they better replace it.

Well dealer called and new pcm is on order for it. It actually did it while mechanic was driving. So ill find out next week sometime if thats the fix.

Well dealer called and new pcm is on order for it. It actually did it while mechanic was driving. So ill find out next week sometime if thats the fix.

Lucky man! Too often it's "cannot replicate the problem".

Did your explorer ever get the hill start assist unavailable and then would try to stall and jump to cold idle 3 times with a quick battery light flash? Mine doesn't stall out just sits at 1200RPM until you put it in gear when the hill start assist faults.

Yep. Ours would do that a lot. My dealer wasn’t able to replace the PCM due to the vehicle not throwing any codes. A Ford field rep did come by and talk to my dealer and said they are supposedly working on a new program to fix these issues. Fingers crossed FORD gets the programming right this time.

What I find hilarious about the whole situation is that the mechanics can't fix it as it's not a mechanical issue and now they have to get computer techs to whip up a new software fix for the car. Nothing getting pulled or replaces just reflashed. At least the hill start assist issue doesnt keep the car from being usable just a little unnerving.

2016 XLT here. I had the wrench appear a couple of times in the last two years. When this happened, I had no cruise, no hill assist, no 4x4/traction assist,etc. Still drove but missed a lot of functions. Turns out, it was a corroded battery terminal. Wire brush on the batter terminal and on the connection took care of the problem. And if the dealership keeps saying it's fixed and it isn't, try another dearlership or mechanic and be sure to let head office know of your experience. Hopefully, it's something very simple that was overlooked and they dug deeper than they had to. Best of luck.

My terminals look good. I don't want to do anything too wild as I don't want ford to void my warranty. I've called around but all I get told is that as long as the car runs good don't worry about it until they have a software fix. No codes or anything thrown. Just disheartening.

We have a 2022 Timberline with 7k miles. Been dealing with the exact same symptoms as those in this thread. Hill Start Assist failure accompanied with grinding noises. Happens randomly, and the service center was actually able to recreate the issue. Been in and out of service center 6 times after a few attempts at a fix. Appears to be a computer issue, but nobody really knows at this point. Anyone else having these issues still? Any updates from the thread?

We have a 2022 Timberline with 7k miles. Been dealing with the exact same symptoms as those in this thread. Hill Start Assist failure accompanied with grinding noises. Happens randomly, and the service center was actually able to recreate the issue. Been in and out of service center 6 times after a few attempts at a fix. Appears to be a computer issue, but nobody really knows at this point. Anyone else having these issues still? Any updates from the th

We have a 2022 Timberline with 7k miles. Been dealing with the exact same symptoms as those in this thread. Hill Start Assist failure accompanied with grinding noises. Happens randomly, and the service center was actually able to recreate the issue. Been in and out of service center 6 times after a few attempts at a fix. Appears to be a computer issue, but nobody really knows at this point. Anyone else having these issues still? Any updates from the thread?
I pick up mine this afternoon from the dealer. They replaced a data module and the PCM ill let you know if this fixed it.

I only had the problem once after the 2 week trip to the dealership. It's been 6 weeks and it only happened the day we got it back and before that it was every 2 weeks on the dot. We had 2 airbags, a restraint control module, and a wiring harness between the two replaced. Does yours do it when you start the car manually? Or using the fordpass app or both?

Also conner how did they recreate the issue? What ive done is use the fordpass start after the cars been sitting for a few days and in between limiting trips in and out of the car between drives. I always wondered if it was a state of charge issue.

Also conner how did they recreate the issue? What ive done is use the fordpass start after the cars been sitting for a few days and in between limiting trips in and out of the car between drives. I always wondered if it was a state of charge issue.
State of charge is an interesting idea. There hasn't been a rhyme or reason for when it occurs that we have picked up on yet. Usually about 5 minutes after starting car, and typically when in drive, but with foot on brake. It has happed at a stop, at a roll, and at about 30 mph. We never use the fordpass to start the car for what its worth. To replicate failure, technician basically sat in car shifting in and out of drive for several hours, putting foot on and off the brake. This triggered the hill start assist failure, but not any grinding noise, which is likely due to the car being in motion. Battery light flashes on and off and car has to be turned off and turned back on to gain any functionality. They reset the computer hoping that would be the fix, but the failures have kept coming since then. Car is back in shop now.

I get the hill start assist back if I either turn it off immediately or if I just drive for a few miles but my battery light just blinks 3 times and the idle jumps but usually a few seconds after starting when it did happen and nothing while driving. But I'm not gonna sit in my car and put it in park and drive for hours on end.lol

State of charge is an interesting idea. There hasn't been a rhyme or reason for when it occurs that we have picked up on yet. Usually about 5 minutes after starting car, and typically when in drive, but with foot on brake. It has happed at a stop, at a roll, and at about 30 mph. We never use the fordpass to start the car for what its worth. To replicate failure, technician basically sat in car shifting in and out of drive for several hours, putting foot on and off the brake. This triggered the hill start assist failure, but not any grinding noise, which is likely due to the car being in motion. Battery light flashes on and off and car has to be turned off and turned back on to gain any functionality. They reset the computer hoping that would be the fix, but the failures have kept coming since then. Car is back in shop now.
Picked my explorer up this afternoon and it was fine for the 6miles home. Time will tell they replaced the pcm. Prior fixes were a new data module, reprogram the computer. This all started after they programmed the pcm to out the parking brake on for a recall.

Picked my explorer up this afternoon and it was fine for the 6miles home. Time will tell they replaced the pcm. Prior fixes were a new data module, reprogram the computer. This all started after they programmed the pcm to out the parking brake on for a recall.

Sounds good, I will follow up with any updates on my end too. Appreciate the follow up. Fingers crossed for you. I think the parking brake is what is trying to automatically activate during hill start failure and is the source of the grinding noise while moving. Speculation but that would make sense. We did have a random instance about 6 months ago where the fuel gage dropped from 3/4 tank to empty and low fuel warning flashed. We pulled into gas station immediately, nothing wrong with car. Restarted and it read 3/4 tank correctly. Since then we have had random issues that all seem to be computer related.

Hello my name is Heath

My wife has a 2021 Explorer with now 26k miles and we are dealing with all the issues you in this thread have been. We had it in the shop a last week for the 6 time with this issue and they replaced the PCM. The next day the same issues showed up again. We took it to the shop Tuesday and the shop was told by Ford to wait and not put any more parts in it and the problem is a known issue.

Oh forgot to mention that the issues started before the parking brake update programming.

The only reason I joined was to reply here

Hope it gets figured out soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's so far been 6 weeks since my issues after a RCM replacement and the airbag saga. They said it was a recall but I can find no source for the new explorer airbag recall. But I believe any on of the control modules could be bad and disrupting the network is what I was told. I can't seem to get a straight answer out of our local ford dealership or corporate. But so far for me 6 weeks since last issue.

Back