HomeLink Wiring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HomeLink Wiring

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I just bought a used HomeLink equipped sun visor off eBay. I know it operates off just 2 wires (12V power and a ground). My question is, does the existing vanity mirror light electrical connection automatically supply power/ground to the HomeLink, or do I need to provide power and ground?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it does.

I just put one in mine a couple months ago.

MT

What vehicle and years are those off of?
Looking for one myself.
Thanks
Tbruz

Yes it does.

I just put one in mine a couple months ago.

MT

Cool! Super easy install then, and cheaper than buying a new garage door remote from the Home Depot, plus you can record messages on it.

I couldn't get mine to operate my craftsman door opener. Maybe I am missing something.

Yeah, I think you missed something. I have a Craftsman opener and the HomeLink in my '01 works with it fine. Programming it is a little tricky. Here's a link to a video, but the info is also in the Owner's Manual. I'm more of a visual person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUlgScKvZmI

I'm pretty sure when I did mine I had to hit the LEARN button on the opener in order to get it to work.

Yeah, I think you missed something. I have a Craftsman opener and the HomeLink in my '01 works with it fine. Programming it is a little tricky. Here's a link to a video, but the info is also in the Owner's Manual. I'm more of a visual person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUlgScKvZmI

I'm pretty sure when I did mine I had to hit the LEARN button on the opener in order to get it to work.

I installed my "previously owned" HomeLink visor this morning. The hardest part was deleting the 30 old messages from the PO. As far as programming, I followed the directions in the owner's manual (page 88-89 for a 2000 Mountaineer) it was easy. Total time to install and program, 8-10 minutes.

1. Press & hold the 2 outside buttons for around 20 secs to clear previous stored codes.
2. Hold you hand-held transmitter 4-5 inches from the HomeLink visor.
3. Press and hold the hand-held transmitter and Homelink button of your choice simultaneously and hold both until the Homelink light starts to flash rapidly (flashes slowly at first). I found I had to do this step twice, but then the light flashed rapidly and the assigned button worked. - Done

I installed my "previously owned" HomeLink visor this morning. The hardest part was deleting the 30 old messages from the PO. As far as programming, I followed the directions in the owner's manual (page 88-89 for a 2000 Mountaineer) it was easy. Total time to install and program, 8-10 minutes.

1. Press & hold the 2 outside buttons for around 20 secs to clear previous stored codes.
2. Hold you hand-held transmitter 4-5 inches from the HomeLink visor.
3. Press and hold the hand-held transmitter and Homelink button of your choice simultaneously and hold both until the Homelink light starts to flash rapidly (flashes slowly at first). I found I had to do this step twice, but then the light flashed rapidly and the assigned button worked. - Done

Ah. This will help. Thanks!

Back