Homemade Cold Air Intake? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Homemade Cold Air Intake?

Not yet

I will get all the codes off my inside drivers door on Monday morning. Talk to you later buddy off to work I go.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Later Fred

I went to farm and fleet to try and get the piping for this project and they did not have nothing,my town sucks ass,and the nearest Menards is 30 miles,well I guess I have something to do on tuesday now:D

my intake is posted here

Dead Link Removed

hey Yng_Pnk

Is that a two door eddie bauer?

Hey Brad. I don't think a 3" will clear the fan shroud.

larry

Do you think I should stick with 2?:D I will be making this thing tommorow:D

I'm not sure how the increased volume would affect the performance or the computer. The volume of the stock looks like it would equal a 2 1/2 " pipe, just not sure. I hope to experiment with a few different sizes soon. I had thought about using 3" from the MAF to right before the fanshroud then going to 2" to make the turn into the intake.

I've been curious to if the MAF needs to be the exact same distance from the intake. I've heard of other people cutting holes in their lower airboxes to get cooler air. Wonder what would happen if you added another elbow at the airboxarea, but instead of adding the airfilter there, extending it down farther towards the ground. I don't know. Just ideas bouncing around until I get to try something.

I think I will use 2 inch I can always take it back off,my stock tube has a bunch of holes in it:(

Well Fred I finally got it done

It looks sweet on my ride too,but the only thing I have not ran yet is the crankcase breather tube,it runs good with it off but I will reconnect later.If you want one I will make one for you Fred just give me a hollar later:D

Yep hook me up

Sounds like a plan to me and what did you use for clamps and the rubber cover for the seams did you use it or not. Do you have any pics of it:bounce: :chug: :thumbsup: :D :p ;) :) :confused:

I am going to look around work this weekend we have some thin blue rubber material that might work,it was really pretty easy I love the new sound:D I dont have pics yet,It looks alot like Elites but my pipe is straight his looks like he used a sleeve of some sort:D

Hey brad, I don't think anyone has mentioned it before, but I found some rubber elbows that have hose clamps at Home Depot. They ran about $5.00 to $6.00 a piece. I haven't found anything else that is as easy to get my hands on.

Larry do you have one on your ex?:D

Not yet. Haven't gotten that far on my list yet. Just picking up the parts here and there until I get everything togethter

Larry do you think it would hurt if I did not run the crankcase tube into the intake?

I'm not sure. I don't have my Ex in front of me, but does the crankcase tube attach to the tube or to the airbox? If it sattaches to the air tube, there should be some type of brass fitting that you could screw into the side if the air tube to accept the hose.

Its not a brass fitting its just plastic I have it off now and i notice no difference:p

88verts Truck

After seeing Brads Sport and hearing the system, That is one tuff looking truck that just sounds awesome. I still don't know how he hears his intake sound with Rob Zombie blasting :D Brad you did a great job on the truck with the brushguard, rims, system and by the way did you ever get the rear tailight covers? I cant wait to see the intake and I am going to put my KKM on tommorow. Talk to you later buddy:D :p :) ;) :bounce: :chug: :thumbsup:

Brad, after reading your last post, I realized I didnt make my previous post clear. I meant that you should be able to pick up some sort of brass fitting from the local hardware store to plug into the plastic. Sorry about that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Larry You are right I did not understand what you were saying but I do now.Thanks again Larry.:D Fred I have had the intake on for about two days and I was getting a little rough idle then I opened the hood and found out why I did not glue the pvc joints and they were sucking air through the gaps i had no idea the pressure in that intake I can notice the difference over the stock tube.I will be making your probally on tuesday.I am going to glue all the joints in mine and seal it up and look for some of that rubber at work:D

Back