• Register Today It's free!

Homemade Cold Air Intake?

karter74

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Navajo
Ok, before I start, I haven't even taken apart my air box and I don't know how it fits together. Also, I got this idea after looking at a Probe forum(yep I own another Ford) Anyway, would it be possible to by some clothing dryer ducting (the exhaust duct) and attach it to the airbox and filter and since its flexible and quite long (8ft is what I found) place it possible in the grille or underneath the car?(With a filter of course) Since its pointed downward, water shouldn't be able to get in right?(Of course this would be opposite to a snorkel and I couldn't drive in puddles. So, could it work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What intake air temperature do you hope to achieve with this set up?

Dryer Ducting is not a good choice because of the ruff surface of the tubing.
The tube used should be smooth as possible allowing the fasting moving air and more air to enter.

Remember that the air intake will also suck in air along with water if the opening get to close to a puddle.

Good Luck,

I have dryer hose routed from my bumper to my open filter. Air flow is a bit impeded by the ribbed shape of the tubing, but the tubing helps anyway at highway speeds. I didn't seal the hose to the filter; therefore the hose doesn't have suction. I can go through water (to above my bumper) without worrying about sucking in water through the hoses.

does anyone have any pics

I was looking at making a cold air intake tube homemade from pvc does anyone have any. Please so some pics. I dont want to pay 140 dollars for some chrome one that looks good and does very little as far as performance so, making my own will do the same thing at a quarter of the price so, I can save my money for better things on my X.

I like your idea karter. Let me know how it turns out, I was thinking of doing the same thing but im not sure with what yet. I was going to start toying with the idea in about a week or so after I finished school and I had some more time. I just want to get some cooler air as im sure the temperature of the air coming off my motor isn't the best thing in the world.

The reason I asked is that I have been monitoring intake air temp via an OBD II scanner ( ( Dead Link Removed ) and comparing it to ambient temp. The difference is very small. I was wondering what he expected to gain as a temp differential.

1st I apologize for misunderstanding you.

2nd I realize that you weren't asking me anything, but what I was doing was sticking up for other members in case you were being rude. You should also know that I would do the same for you if I saw it happen. No need to get snappy back, I stated that I would apologize if that is not how you meant to come off... as I promised I will delete my post regarding you.

formalities out of the way.....

Here's what I tried:
Dead Link Removed
I can't say I noticed a whole lot of change, but I believe there was some difference in performance, Maybe that's just all in my head though......
Karl

Did you measure air temp before and after install?

Thanks.....

No, I didn't

Aldive:
I saw your post somewhere else about temps inside and outside the engine bay after driving and I was as bewildered as you (and probably most others) were. I would have thought the temperature would get higher than 4 degrees above the outside temp, but I guess while driving the engine bay's warm air is consistently removed as the truck moves.
If I had a thermometer (or some other neat gadget) I would attempt to measure both.
Any ideas Aldive?
Karl

I measured with my OBD OO Code Scanner/

Well this is not impossible. I did it with my Civic SI and that had to be 10x as hard as an explorer. BTW it goes down into the bumper with a foam Weapon R filter on it. And it was 3'inch inside diameter.

8842502-62c3-02000180-.gif

MR99Si

Did you use 3 inch PVC pipe with elbows and clamps and did you paint it black or did it come that way?:D

Actually it is 3'inch ABS Plastic and yes it came black, and I used elbows and whatnot and modified them to what I needed.

isnt that really susceptible to heatsoak? why not wrap it with header tape or spray it with header paint? to reduce the radiant heat from soaking through

Originally posted by jimabena74
isnt that really susceptible to heatsoak? why not wrap it with header tape or spray it with header paint? to reduce the radiant heat from soaking through

I was scared of that at first but it was never a problem. I took it to a test and tune and I ran 15.6 3 times in a row with a aluminum shortram/cone filter combo, I then took 1/2 hour and installed my creation and ran a 15.2@89mph:D It felt alot stronger in the midrange as well. I ran that setup for 6 months and I never had any issues with the ABS.

Do you have a pic of it on your ex?Where did you get the abs plastic?:D

No we are talking about my honda. I have yet to create anything for my ex, that will be in the future. Plus I could never touch a 15.2 in my x. Let alone 15.xx anything:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you get the plastic?The wheels are turning now:eek:

Back