Pete Deering

Reaction score
City, State
New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 xlt 4 door 4x4
Is there a spring on the hood?
My hood does not pop open.

The hood latch (lock) works fine with the hood open; when I lock and unlock the latch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grab an adjustable wrench , then looking under dash locate the bracket which the cable slides thru. Bend that bracket toward firewall about 1/4 ".

Now pull sharply on hood release lever.

Is your hood stuck closed?

If you can’t open the hood, try pulling the hood latch release while someone pushes down on the hood. The latch is adjustable, but you have to be able to get the hood open. There should be threads on this Forum about getting the locked hood open.

If you can get the hood open, lubricate the latch mechanism. And you still might have to adjust the latch mechanism. Be careful not to lower the latch mechanism too much at once, as this mega-locks the hood.

Good luck, and drive safe.

(and there is no spring that pushes the hood open... and no “Great Pumpkin“. ….. Happy Halloween.)

FB198F6B-6961-44E6-9F20-652D951CD10E.jpeg

Is your hood stuck closed?

If you can’t open the hood, try pulling the hood latch release while someone pushes down on the hood. The latch is adjustable, but you have to be able to get the hood open. There should be threads on this Forum about getting the locked hood open.

If you can get the hood open, lubricate the latch mechanism. And you still might have to adjust the latch mechanism. Be careful not to lower the latch mechanism too much at once, as this mega-locks the hood.

Good luck, and drive safe.

(and there is no spring that pushes the hood open... and no “Great Pumpkin“. ….. Happy Halloween.)

View attachment 436082
I can't get the hood open.
I lube the latch.
Turdle state I can adjust the handle

I had these pics on my phone from when I had to open mine five or so years ago. I lowered the rubber on threaded-rod bump stops a tad to prevent it from being too tightly closed.

20170821_190142.jpg 20170821_190215.jpg

I've kept it clean ever since!

20171101_195348a.jpg

Back