Hood won't latch

gavin

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
So I did a search for "hood latch" and all I came up with were "hood won't open" threads.

Well, mine won't stay closed.

The initial latch is fine, but of course has the up and down movement. It won't fully latch so it can only be opened by the hood release cable.

I checked the latching mechanism itself, and it works fine. Moves (fairly) easily. Sprayed some WD40 on it anyway.

It's almost like the flat'ish rectangular chunk of metal isn't catching in the latch, or something.
Is that piece supposed to be flat, or slightly bent down/out-ward?

any other ideas?

possibly your cable is siezed or rusty, or just catching on something. try to move it back and forth at the latch mechanism. if it won't move freely you may need to lube or even replace the cable. had the same problem and thats what the problem was for me.

possibly your cable is siezed or rusty, or just catching on something. try to move it back and forth at the latch mechanism. if it won't move freely you may need to lube or even replace the cable. had the same problem and thats what the problem was for me.

I checked the latching mechanism itself, and it works fine. Moves (fairly) easily. Sprayed some WD40 on it anyway.

:D

so I'm an r-tard. Had to lower the bumpstop on the passenger side. No clue why I had to do that out of nowhere, but it closes fine now! :rolleyes:

Back