How about 255/70/16's on 02+ Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How about 255/70/16's on 02+ Explorer?

DCFireMedic

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4
Hello all...

I have an 02 XLT and am going to be buying new tires in the next 30 days. I wanted to go a little bigger without going overboard. I want to keep my stock wheels and have minimal rub. I was thinking BFGoodrich A/T ko's in 255/70/16. What does everybody think? Heres a picture below.

-- OJM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 245/75/16's on mine. I think yours would definately look better with bigger tires. It made my speedometer off a little though. 105 miles on the interstate according to the mile markers show 100 on the odometer.

yeah, mine came with 235/75/16s... 255/70 isnt overboard is it? They'll still fit on the stock wheels? Thanks.

-- OJM

Mine came with 255/70-16's. So there should be problem with that size, other then the speedo.

Check the stock size, on the sticker in the drivers door jamp against the new size you want and see how off your speedo will be.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Shadow - do you have a picture of how your 255/70's look, cause looking at that tire calc, the 245/75's are actually a bit taller but not quite as wide. Wish i could go 255/72.5-16. haha.

-- ojm

Don't have any pics. It's just a 05 Sport Trac. there the stockers.

The 95-01 Explorers are closest to having the speedometer accurate with 30" tires. The 255/70/16 is a 30" tire, most likely that will be very good.

The 95-01's with 15" tires(29" tall) have fast reading speedometers, that's my point. 30" is best for 95-01's, I don't know if that is the same for the 2002+ models. Good luck,

anybody come up with some pics? Would you rather do 245/75/16 or 255/70/16... the 245s end up being just a tiny bit taller...

Well I have the X=spec lowering kit installed today. I was going to take some PICs anyway. I'll post them tomorrow. Dropped at first check an inch in the from and a little over an inch in teh back.

I also noticed that mine you my ST is only 5 monthes old the left and right front settings where off. the left/drivers side was about 1/2 inch lower. Something that everyone chold check adn fix.

I have an XLT Premium. The Premium and Adrenalne come with 30 inchers. The mine with A/Ts and the other more of a performance tire.

The TXL and TLS have 29 inchers. the same as ore other Xs

Back