• Register Today It's free!

How big of a mistake did I make?

Am3gross

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer xlt
I just went out and bought a 18 foot hybrid camper. I have a 2003 explorer with the 4x4 and v6. The receiver that I have is the small 1 1/4, and a 4 way plug.
Details on the camper, 18 ft long, 3200 lbs, and its a single axle.

Will I be ok to tow the camper the way my truck sits? If not what will I need?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A stock Class II receiver (what you have) is rated for a max towing weight of 3500 lbs with a 350lb tongue weight. As the previous poster said, your Explorer is rated for 3400 lbs with that hitch installed, so you should be ok with it.

The other thing to note is don't expect it the run like it does without the trailer. It will be slow both accelerating and braking so be sure you drive accordingly.

Otherwise, Happy Trails :D

I agree that you should not have any problems. These hitches are a part of the frame so are better than the add on ones. Depending on what type of brakes you have on the trailer you might have to upgrade the electrics.

In saying all this it is usually recommended by the trailer companies to have a tortion bar system which would mean that you would have to upgrade to the 2" receiver and spend considerable money on the hitch assembly. These systems certainly make for a more stable unit on the road. If you are considering long distance trips on major highways it might be something to consider in the future.

I tow a 25' tandem axle house trailer (3500 lb) and find that these tortion bars will take out most of the bounce when properly adjusted.

Thanks fellas for all the positive responses... However I think I made a wise decision today. I bought a different receiver for my explorer, it is the 2 in receiver, it hooks below the original equipment.. That set me back 188 bucks should be here Friday. I also purchased a weight distribution hitch for 50 bucks off Craigslist. The bars on it says it is rated for 400-600 lbs...

S if I was good before I should well with in the limits now!

I have called around to a few places, usual was one of them and they said they do. It install hitches on my explorer. Kinda gave me a sickening feeling in my gut. But now that I have stuff on the way I can't wait to go get my camper. Should be ready by the middle of the week... Might have to wait till saturday

Well picked my camper up Saturday, got the dealership to throw in a new weight distribution hitch and a Sway control, towed the new camper home about 30 minutes away and had no issues. I was pleasantly surprised. With the brake controller that the dealership also installed I could stop with no issues. Take off was a breeze and while on the blvd I did not notice any issues when I was up around 45-50 miles and hour. Tanks for all the positive responses. I look forward to many of camping trips!

A word of caution...

You did not specify the towing conditions you're likely to experience, e.g. distance/topography etc. I advice you to invest about $150.00 and buy an"SCANGAUGE II" that will monitor among many other functions your transmission running temp. (a CRITICAL factor with our Explorers.) Even when I'm not towing, but driving long distances i use it for the MPG.

Well picked my camper up Saturday, got the dealership to throw in a new weight distribution hitch and a Sway control, towed the new camper home about 30 minutes away and had no issues. I was pleasantly surprised. With the brake controller that the dealership also installed I could stop with no issues. Take off was a breeze and while on the blvd I did not notice any issues when I was up around 45-50 miles and hour. Tanks for all the positive responses. I look forward to many of camping trips!

Happy trails:D
Might want to look into a trans cooler

Putting on a class III hitch was a very good idea, That Class II hitch would have lead to an accident or worse. Your new class III hitch is rated for 500 pounds tongue weight and when loaded your hybrid will be at least this much if not more. The WDH will help with this. Another thing to remember is that camper manufactures under rate everything. I'll bet the actual loaded weight is well over 3200 lbs. And even with your class III hitch and WDH your Explorer is still only rated for 3500 pounds max due to the gearing. That is a lot of camper for your explorer with the transmission being the weak link.

You may also want to check the tires on the hybrid. 9 times out of 10 they will put tires on that do not have the correct load ratting. If they are a load range C then I would strongly recommend upgrading to a load rage D tire.

I just sold a 15 foot hybrid that had a GVWR of 3500 lbs. I refused to even try and tow it with my Explorer. I used my 2000 Expedition with the 5.4 liter and at 9,000 feet elevation even the 5.4 was gasping for air. You lose a lot of horsepower at those altitudes.

Good luck to you.

Back