how do i pump the front differential dry????IT SEEMS IMPOSIBLE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how do i pump the front differential dry????IT SEEMS IMPOSIBLE

hardazz04

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport
my front diffy has water in it... im gonna change the gear oil with mobil one and limited slip protectant how do i remove the front diffys fluid before i refill??? the way it looks to me is that it is imposssible!!@!
thanks in advance please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

by taking off the cover....

yeah, and the only way to get the cover off is to remove the front. diff from the vehicle completly:frustrate

yea i know is there any way to pump it out from the fill plug? there has to be!!!!!!anyone know
:(

As mentioned above....Or, as you suspect, you can buy a hand pump and suck it out through the fill hole. If you flush it a couple of times, you will probably get it pretty clean. Pump it out, fill it with a cost effective gear oil, run it for a couple days and repeat. You can get a hand pump from most auto stores for under $20.

BTW, you shouldn't need limited slip additive in the front axle unless you put a limited slip differential in. The additive does nothing for an open front axle. All the Explorers come with an open front axle.

alright kick ass thanks for the quick reply...
ill take back the additive and in return purchase a pump... is there anything else i need to attach to the pump?? my rear diffy is limited slip right??
thanks

You'll have to look up the code to see if the rear is LS. Some are, some aren't. If I remember correctly, for it to be LS it has to be a 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

Use a wet dry vacuum.

Back