How do I repair defective power door lock wiring on a 2002 Ford Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I repair defective power door lock wiring on a 2002 Ford Explorer?

Supermanske

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and the power locks only work for 10-20 seconds after I turn the truck off.I of course tried the simplest troubleshooting by replacing the battery in my key FOB but they still do not work. What could the problem be, how do I fix it and how much will the parts cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a very good chance it is the ground wires in your drivers door. I am sure when Big Rondo jumps on here this morning he can link the fix for you, I believe he has them all saved somewhere.
It is a pretty simple and cheap fix, it was free for me as I already had everything I needed (spare wire and solderless connectors) sitting in my shed. It just took patience and time.
Good luck.
If I can find the link before Big Rondo gets here I will post it.

Below is the post that Big Rondo usually puts up. I was able to locate it for you. Try this out as it is a very common fix/problem for our trucks. A lot of wires and a lot of functions run through that door.

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the delayed accessories didn't work, etc. Most recently all 4 windows stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

Here is a great thread for checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=249253

Thank you FordFool2 I think it may be because I just copied and pasted the post in the thread.
It doesn't work for me as a link either. Probably should have checked that first?????

Thank you both SO much!! How do I find the thread on how to take off the door panel?

I just tried all the stuff you both suggested and the locks are still not working..I couldn't find any damaged wires. Do I have to undo all of the electric tape?

Yes you do.
Follow the link that FordFool2 was kind enough to post for me when my link didn't work.
I had the same exact problem with my car.
Take your time and use a good bright flashlight.
Undo all the electrical tape you can (carefully so you don't damage any wires yourself), shine the flashlight up the wire bundle, but do it through the speaker opening as it gives you a good view right up the wires.
It took me a while to find the broken wires I had. I had 2 a thicker black one, this is your common ground and where all the problems come from, and I also had a thinner brown/black wire.
If that isn't what the problem is post back on here.
This is a great forum and people are very helpful.
Also try searching as you may come across another post.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Ok I will have to try it again this coming up weekend. Thanks for all the help! I will keep you guys posted!

By the way what kind of wire should I buy to fix the problem? Also where would I buy the wires at?

If I remember correctly I had to use a 14 and a 16 gauge wire. The Black one was the thicker of the two.
You can get it pretty cheap in the Walmart auto department. About $4 a roll I think.
It has been about 2 years since I had to do this fix, so I don't remember all the details. I do know it took roughly 1 - 1 1/2 hours total time. It really isn't a bad job.
Good luck

Here is what I usually post with working links:

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the delayed accessories didn't work, etc. Most recently all 4 windows stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

Here is a great thread for checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

That is a great write up.

On a side note, before going through a complete replacement of the switch, you can spray WD40 into the door latch opening on each door, as these become stuck sometimes....and this can alleviate the issue.

This worked for me, after going for more than a year of the "door ajar" light coming on occasionally...mainly after a car wash, high humidity, or rain....making me unable to lock/arm the vehicle from the door keypad and keeping the dome lights on. Worth a try....it worked for me :thumbsup:

Good luck with the fix. :biggthump

I knew Big Rondo would jump on here sooner or later with his links and everything.
Rondo, you must have this saved somewhere, there is no way you type it out every time.
Thanks Rondo.
Good luck Super. Remember to post back either way, it helps others in their fix.

I knew Big Rondo would jump on here sooner or later with his links and everything.
Rondo, you must have this saved somewhere, there is no way you type it out every time.
Thanks Rondo.
Good luck Super. Remember to post back either way, it helps others in their fix.

:D I have it in the notepad in my User CP. I can have is posted in about 6 seconds. :p:

Back