How do I safely relieve Fuel pressure?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I safely relieve Fuel pressure??

eXplorerTron

Reaction score
City, State
Raymond (hickville), NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT V6
Just made an account on this website, but i frequently use it for information on how to do whatever my truck needs at the time.

Ive tackled the task of fixing the blown head gasket. Ive gotten to the point where i need to remove the fuel lines. This is where my knowledge ends. How do you relieve fuel pressure and remove the fuel lines safely???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a cap and valve on the fuel rail on the passenger side towards the back. You can press the center pin of the valve in slowly which will release gasoline. Place a rag around it as you do it. The valve is exactly like a tire valve, cap and all.

You can also unplug the switch under at the passenger's side foot area. The crash thingy. Then crank the truck over for a second and it's no longer pressurized! I prefer that, a little easier if you ask me.

Make sure you have the heads checked for cracks before you put it back together. What seems like a blown head gasket can easily be a cracked head on these motors. Often you won't be able to find them with the naked eye.

You can also unplug the switch under at the passenger's side foot area. The crash thingy. Then crank the truck over for a second and it's no longer pressurized! I prefer that, a little easier if you ask me.

That sounds pretty easy. But I dont know what "crash thingy" youre talking about.
its possible to crank the truck over with the engine still in the vehicle? I have no way of removing it

Make sure you have the heads checked for cracks before you put it back together. What seems like a blown head gasket can easily be a cracked head on these motors. Often you won't be able to find them with the naked eye.

would you suggest replacing the heads?

That sounds pretty easy. But I dont know what "crash thingy" youre talking about.
its possible to crank the truck over with the engine still in the vehicle? I have no way of removing it

Sure hope so, you crank over the engine every time you start your truck... He means crank the engine with the starter while the fuel pump is disabled.

Well, I have new heads etc etc etc on order as we speak. I could have gotten used heads but the new ones I ordered from Clearwater Cylinderheads are only 175 ea

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORD-RA...es&vxp=mtr&hash=item56335f9ecc#ht_2260wt_1396

How can you go wrong with new at that price?

A few of the guys have said that they thought even removing heads and putting them back on can crack them. A good friend of mine is a licensed mech with his own shop who does work for a local body shop. He said he went through 3 sets of used heads to find 2 that weren't cracked. Our factory heads are VERY prone to cracking. The new aftermarket ones are thicker in key areas and are a vast improvement over the OE ones for durability.

Do some research, speak to jd4242. He's done a ****-load of research and has built a couple 4.0 engines.

Sure hope so, you crank over the engine every time you start your truck... He means crank the engine with the starter while the fuel pump is disabled.

So start the car with the fuel pump disabled?

Try to, it'll relieve the residual fuel pressure in the lines.

Try to, it'll relieve the residual fuel pressure in the lines.

I pulled the fuse to the fuel pump and tried to start the truck. It didnt start and afterwards i heard a psssssssssssssstttttt noise comming from the intake manifold. Does that mean I can safely remove the fuel lines???:thumbsup:

I pulled the fuse to the fuel pump and tried to start the truck. It didnt start and afterwards i heard a psssssssssssssstttttt noise comming from the intake manifold. Does that mean I can safely remove the fuel lines???:thumbsup:

You should be fine.

Hi guys. I recently got a 2010 explorer and am changing the fuel filter in a couple hours. Trying to figure out how to relieve the fuel pressure. I had a 94 Tbird and a 2007 mustang and they were easy....just pull the fuel pump fuse under the dash and let it run till it dies (a few seconds) then crank it a few seconds.

The 2010 doesn't have a dedicated fuel pump fuse. There's one under the dash for fuel pump AND injectors. But that won't relieve the pressure if the injectors are cut off. The Haynes manual says to pull the Fuel pump relay under the hood while its running. As soon as I do that, the engine dies IMMEDIATELY. Something tells me it cuts the ignition too (and maybe the injectors), so it's not running off the leftover fuel in the line. I got inside and cranked it about 10 seconds. Hoping the pressure is relieved now.

PS - I tried banging on the inertia switch by the passenger footwell, but no luck.

Please let me know if there's a better way to relieve the pressure on a 2010, and if the method I used is correct.

Dave

Just an FYI follow-up. The method I used worked. There was still quite a bit of fuel in the lines and filter, but it wasn't under high pressure and didn't spray out far.

WHAT ?!?

Back