How do i set the Cam Sensor on a 96? HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do i set the Cam Sensor on a 96? HELP!

rhauf

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91,93,98,&02 Exploders
Just finishing up a rebuild on a '96 with the 5.0. the engine is assembled and currently on cyl 1 TDC compression stroke. now with the cam sensor, how do i set it correctly? there seems to be no indicator on it, but when i take the top off i see a little half-circle metal thing.. (i guess its magnetic) so i figure there is probably some specific direction this should be oriented when the cam sensor is installed and the engine is set to cyl 1TDC compression.

any help is appreciated!! thanks

Do a search on this forum. There is a lot of info available.
Basically you need an install tool which fits on the top of the sensor and has an arrow pointing forward when the sensor is oriented properly.

You will definately need the tool. If you try to guess your timing will be out and you will have to start all over again. There are no visual settings.

TDC needs to be attained and the tool needs to fit correctly. Likewise you will need to inspect your sensor cap. I just had issues with mine and throwing out the aftermarket part and re-useing the old Ford cap fixed it.

Here is my post about the issue http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263749

Back