How do you open the tailgate when a door lock actuator has failed when locked? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you open the tailgate when a door lock actuator has failed when locked?

ExpBen06

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Limited
So, I've searched and searched. Maybe I'm just not good at searching this issue. As stated, my tailgate door lock actuator has failed in the locked position. As there is no keyhole to manually unlock, nor any lock pin to use on the interior, how do you get the tailgate open to access the actuator to replace it?? And I understand I can cut apart the interior door panel, but I'm trying to make sure there isnt some easier way to do it, like a hidden switch, or access panel, or something. Anybody?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

501-05-1.gif

501-05-2.gif

And how would you go about removing the interior trim panel with the hatch in the closed position ? Have you ever looked at one from the inside with the hatch closed ? I'm all ears...go head, shoot...let's hear it.

And how would you go about removing the interior trim panel with the hatch in the closed position ? Have you ever looked at one from the inside with the hatch closed ? I'm all ears...go head, shoot...let's hear it.
did you ever find a solution? I have the same exact problem.

Have you taken the chrome piece above the handle on the outside off? I believe it is held on by screws on the outside only. That might give you access.

You can remove the interior trim with the latch closed. The trim is flexible enough.

did you ever find a solution? I have the same exact problem.

No, never heard anything concrete. So what I did at the time was replace my perfectly operating one with a new one before it failed. But that doesn't help you....sorry.

2006 explorer here. Our explorer lift gate would not open, bad lower latch. my wife got in the back and I
supervised ( love to supervise ) thru the lift gate window. we used a pry bar to lift panel up just enough
( between the floor trim and under door panel handle ) to get a 8 MM socket in and remove the 2 screws. Got them out but it was a PITA. Then pull trim panel off starting from the top. 4 clips along the top and 1 clip on each side of window opening and 13 more on the lower panel.Once we got those loose we gently lifted panel up and out, Take it easy and slow so not to crack it. Have not had time to install latch yet.

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

Exact same issue for me. Pry bar and 2 people seems to be the only approach anyone is having luck with. Various threads all say the same solution :/

Back