How do you paint chrome??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you paint chrome???

What type of prep work is necessary to paint chrome. I'm sure you have to scuff the chrome up and then prime it or something. Am I missing anything? What should I scuff it with?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

80grit --> 120ish --> 300ish --> SELF ETCHING PRIMER...this is a must!!! then just wet-sand and base coat

Great, thanks a lot

Hey man, I plan on painting my chrome bumpers, Please keep me updated on how you did, did u use a clear coat?? PICS!!!! Also are you painting you grille and chrome around the lights?? I did that last night, I think it turned out fine. We'll see how it hold up though. thanks chow.

Originally posted by hinkle_e
80grit --> 120ish --> 300ish --> SELF ETCHING PRIMER...this is a must!!! then just wet-sand and base coat
exactly how i did mine. you HAVE to scuff the hell out of it, and you HAVE to use etching primer on the first coat of primer. either that, or it will only look good for a year or so... sorry about the crappy webcam pic. :p

bumper.jpg

ETCHING PRIMER

degreased then ETCHING PRIMER and paint
but that was just on my grill
front1.JPG
DSCF0053.JPG

How much sanding do I do with each grit sandpaper?

not very much

A quick rub down with 100 grit then 220 grit
just becarful not to gouge the black plastic.
Then I also used a Etching primer leti it dry say 1/2 hour
After the etching has dryed I also sould have rubbed it down with 440 grit and primed with reg. primer, then paint. I only put one coat of paint. It still needs maybe 2 more coats. and clear coat.

I just put one coat on it just to see if i'd like it. And I love it. So when i get more paint I take it off again and repaint it.

Back