How long can it last? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How long can it last?

08Ex

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer
2008 XLT 4.0 here. Flirting with hitting 100K on the vehicle and I'm wondering when its a good time to cut it loose. I keep reading about 4.0L problems but haven't experienced any yet. That's why I'm asking the question. I read about rad problems, plastic thermos housing leaks, timing chain guide issues and I'm thinking I have a ticking bomb. Wife drives the car from VA to VT and back so I want a reliable vehicle for her. I change oil every 5K miles, use synthetic and change coolant every three years(drain & fill). What is the sweet spot as far as mileage on the 4.0L that I don't want to exceed before I run into problems? Thx AJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2006 4.0 with 150K. No unexpected problems as of yet. Recently, I have had to change both front hub assemblies and my exhaust flange rusted out so I replaced with a Magnaflow cat-back. Oh, and I had to replace the thermostat housing for the second time. I hope this helps.

I'm on my forth Explorer in the last 20+ years, all have been 4.0 XLT's that I bought used. My first was a 94 which I sold at 130k, second was a 00 sold at 170k, third was an 04 sold at 140k and now on my forth which is an 08 with 174k miles on it now. All were very dependable with minimum problems.

Hi,
bought my first car in 1992. Usually kept my vehicles 2-3 Years max. This Explorer will be in our family 10 years, this year. I was asking myself if it wouldn't be smarter to part with it, before it started to develop any troubles. Fact is, I'm just not done with this good driving, save and reliable SUV. No rust, no rattles, still great paint etc. Here we get to read a lot about the bad sides these automobiles have, not enough praise is done to them, especially on an "Explorer Forum". No question, there are many members with serious troubles, and many of them could have been prevented by Fords simplest design changes etc. But overall the Explorer is an amazing Vehicle, and I decided to gladly spend the 2500 Euro that I was quoted for a tranny overhaul, and another 2500 Euro for the timing assembly (when/if ever they fail). The Explorer was not sold over here, so I would imagine better prices for you.
Sure, maintenance I did religiously and alternator/hubs I had to replace, but all that stood up extraordinary to the use I put it through in 120000 hard (autobahn) miles. Plus all those Explorer duty vehicles (Police etc.) or the 4.0 SOHC in the Mustang, which might see a hell of a automobile life, make me believe, that these Fords are far better than their reputation.
Cheers,
Andre

Maybe because I do all my own maintenance but before my 06 explorer I had a 95 AWD Aerostar with the 4.0 and I got 331000 miles out of it before the transmission when. Motor was still going strong

200K on my 2006 4.0 V-6 with no motor or trans issues. Replaced all hubs at 100K, radiator was replaced about 50K ago. All maintenance like serpentine belt and idler/tensioner, thermostat housing was done by me. Always used synthetic oil changed every 6K. Trans fluid was Valvoline full synthetic changed at 140K. Still runs and looks great and very reliable.

I all my SUV's vans I owned I put a high capacity transmission cooling in. Along with a few fluid changes the lasted to when I sold them looking for a change. 300k or 200k varying with vehicles. But some service is key and checking the fluid quality but in the case of the V8's tranny its sealed and not easily inspected. At least one fluid change would be required as most Explorers are fitted with an auxiliary cooler but not as high rated as I have normally installed. Given their tow rating is quite high. I figure if I am not towing even 50% of its rating with a <2000lb trailer (winter mostly), heat build up should not be an issue.

Thank you Guy's! Goes to show you normally hear about the issues and not the success stories. Most folks that have the dependable/reliable trucks never write about them. I'm going to keep the 08.

While not in an explorer.... We have the same 4.0 in our 2006 Mustang... and it's next oil change is at 342,000 miles. Other than a few fixes over the years the motors been doing fine.. Off the top of my head... 2 alternators, 2 thermostat housing, one fuel pressure sensor and the dpfe I broke when I leaned on it doing spark plugs.

Here's a blackstone labs used oil analysis from a couple of the oil changes at 300k+ miles.

~Mark

06 MUSTANG-161030-noPII.jpg

The most expensive and popular repair on the 08 up v6s is the transmission. The torque converters like to fail. Did one on an 08 with 170k and just did one on a 2010 with 95k. These 4.0s are solid with kept up good oil changes. Most with timing chain issues haven't owned their truck for a long period and probably bought one that wasn't maintained. I have a 97 with original chains with 265k at my shop that still runs great but is starting to eat coolant from running with a bad thermostat housing.

Back