How many miles do you have now? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles do you have now?

If you do decide to go with the explorer I recommend purchasing a shift kit and installing it day one possibly with a new solenoid pack and of course new fluids and filter for the transmission
Do you mean 5R55S?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Several people have mentioned when they bought their Explorer - it's good information to have on these longevity threads.
I bought mine at a year old and 19K miles so everything that has been done to it I pretty much know about. When you buy one at over 100K then you don't know what problems it had before you. With everything I've done to mine it might hit 200K without any issues - and the person who bought it would say it's trouble free to 200K - never done anything to it.
Of course, if you bought one at 100K that was allowed to slowly disintegrate by the previous owner then playing catch up makes it look like it's one problem after another. If you haven't touched the transmission and it still runs great at 200K then maybe the previous owner put a new one in it - maybe they flushed it every 30K - just a lot of unknowns there.
So I take these types of threads with a grain of salt. Of course, when you are discussing a vehicle that's between 12 and 16 years old then it's hard to find original owners so the history gets a little murkier with each passing year.

So I take these types of threads with a grain of salt. Of course, when you are discussing a vehicle that's between 12 and 16 years old then it's hard to find original owners so the history gets a little murkier with each passing year.
Yeah, make sense! Use your own judgment.

How many miles do you have now? And what major repairs have been done to achieve this?

I’m Just curious how well this generation of Explorer does, and how many miles I should expect out of it.

Initially I thought Toyota 4Runner was much better, but after reading some posts, seems it’s not necessarily better than Ford Explorer. How do you think please?
I bought my 2014 xlt 4wd with believe it or not, 199,600 miles in 2020. As of 3/15/22, I'm at 230,612. Still runs strong. I've only replaced both front rotors and timing belt other than normal maintenance. Still love my ride!

Several people have mentioned when they bought their Explorer - it's good information to have on these longevity threads.
I bought mine at a year old and 19K miles so everything that has been done to it I pretty much know about. When you buy one at over 100K then you don't know what problems it had before you. With everything I've done to mine it might hit 200K without any issues - and the person who bought it would say it's trouble free to 200K - never done anything to it.
Of course, if you bought one at 100K that was allowed to slowly disintegrate by the previous owner then playing catch up makes it look like it's one problem after another. If you haven't touched the transmission and it still runs great at 200K then maybe the previous owner put a new one in it - maybe they flushed it every 30K - just a lot of unknowns there.
This is one reason I rely on Carfax reports when buying higher mileage used vehicles. They might not show all maintenance, repairs performed or accidents but they can show a good amount of it. If a report shows a lot of maintenance done, especially at dealerships, the odds are good that the vehicle has been maintained well. Another very valuable bit of information a Carfax report shows is where a vehicle has been driven. If it has spent a lot of time in the Rust Belt areas then I pass on it as a rule. Excessive rust is about the worst condition to deal with, IMO. There is no fixing it. If a higher mileage vehicle just shows title changes and registrations then I would pass on it. This said, buying any vehicle with high miles on it is rolling the dice regarding longevity.

How many miles do you have now? And what major repairs have been done to achieve this?

I’m Just curious how well this generation of Explorer does, and how many miles I should expect out of it.

Initially I thought Toyota 4Runner was much better, but after reading some posts, seems it’s not necessarily better than Ford Explorer. How do you think please?
I have gotten close to 200K on mine. Ive had 6 explorers starting with a 94" which I got 204K out of.
Of course I've invested money into maintaining and repairing all of them.
The earlier models always seemed to have had front end issues.
But the motors all ran strong for me.
Most recently my 2010 which had major work with the chain tensioners replacement and rear end work (my rear wheel just about fell off at one point !)
All in all these vehicle have fit my lifestyle and as a business vehicle since the 90's.
I've literally put hundreds of thousands of miles on these things !
Everything i need my car to do it has excelled at!
I would consider another one if needed !
Good Luck !

98 XLT 4.0

About 240k, odometer takes a break when the dash gets warm.

Rebuilt trans after loading it to the gills and pulled a camper across the country in August. My bad

Around 200k rebuilt most the front end, bearings, upper control arms, lower ball joints, & sway bar links. Also radiator, water pump, fan and fan clutch.

Regular maintenance.

Echo another comment I saw, the service intervals are critical on Fords. Do it sooner than later.

Still original starter and alternator.

Just checking in with 374,856 miles on the 2000 XLT w/ 5.0---only major issues have been --a new radiator, and an air conditioner compressor. Everything else has just been regular maintenance.
Still use it as a daily driver to and from work.

David P.

Just checking in with 374,856 miles on the 2000 XLT w/ 5.0---only major issues have been --a new radiator, and an air conditioner compressor. Everything else has just been regular maintenance.
Still use it as a daily driver to and from work.

David P.

Interesting to see yours has no transmission issue, especially the case pistol bore issue.

2008 4x4 Limited 4.6L V8, 89,000miles (~142,000kms). Necessary repairs since I bought in August 2019 (with 67,000miles original/ ~108,000kms):

Steering rack and linkage
Driver side exhaust manifold
All spark plugs (none were broken), changed coil-on-plugs at the same time
4 corner EBC brake and rotor kit
Royal Purple 5w20 and their filter every 6000miles (10,000kms)
Front upper and lower ball joints
New radiator/thermostat

Most of the other upgrades I’ve done I wouldn’t classify as necessary to keep it roadworthy, but I did a few other things too and have a build thread in the modified section.

Interesting to see yours has no transmission issue, especially the case pistol bore issue.
The bore issue isn’t with the 4r70w he has.

2007 Mountaineer 4.6. Currently 231,000. Amsoil Full Synthetic since 5k. No engine or transmission issues. Radiator at 95k. 3 out of 4 wheel bearings - driver front 3 times, exhaust manifold bolts (should have been recall), alternator 5k ago, few other minor repairs, brakes and tires plugs etc. under normal wear and tear. Overall, very reliable.
There is something with the Driver front wheel bearing, I have a 2005 and have replaced it 3x at about every 65k miles.

There is something with the Driver front wheel bearing, I have a 2005 and have replaced it 3x at about every 65k miles.
The wheel bearings in these aren’t very stout, and a lot of the ones on the market are poor quality. 65k is a pretty good life.

2007 with 4.6. I'm at 199,121 miles. It has been in the family since 70k miles. No major repairs. Fuel pump is the original. Replaced 3 cop's, spark plugs and a few fuel filters. We've run motorcraft semi synthetic oil/filters for most of those miles until recently. My mother gave me the car last year and now I run Mobil 1 extended performance in it with Fram ultra filters. Engine is quiet and runs strong, with little valvetrain noise. Recently had

2007 with 4.6. I'm at 199,121 miles. It has been in the family since 70k miles. No major repairs. Fuel pump is the original. Replaced 3 cop's, spark plugs and a few fuel filters. We've run motorcraft semi synthetic oil/filters for most of those miles until recently. My mother gave me the car last year and now I run Mobil 1 extended performance in it with Fram ultra filters. Engine is quiet and runs strong, with little valvetrain noise. Recently had to replace front bearing/hub assemblies and half shafts.
My 2007 Limited 4x4 4.6 V8 special ordered and delivered on 15 September 2006 has 299,750 miles of pure joy . I replaced the engine once as a spark plug tip broke and damaged the cylinder. I put MSD ignition, K&N cold air intake, Gibson Catback exhaust plus Magnaflow free flowing Catalytic Converters sounds like a dream I get lots of compliments. The fuel pump just gave out .

Hi. I have a 2008 4.6 4x4 Limited. I bought it with 140,000 miles. Not too long after I bought it, I discovered the radiator had failed between the engine coolant and transmission fluid chambers. I am suspicious this might have been the result of the previous owner not changing the engine coolant. The shop said I should replace the transmission as engine coolant had gotten into the transmission fluid. I had purchased a Car Shield warranty when I bought the truck and Car Shield agreed to replace the transmission along with the radiator (so a little plug here for Car Shield!). Other than that: A water pump and an alternator (neither expensive) and I consider those almost maintenance items on a vehicle of this age. I've put 20,000 miles on it and it runs and drives great. Very Quiet. Engine doesn't use oil and runs quiet and smooth. And my impression is the 4.6 is usually a long-lasting engine. Body and interior are in great shape. No more than I paid for it, I'm ecstatic. Expect lousy gas mileage by today's standards.

2007 with 4.6. I'm at 199,121 miles. It has been in the family since 70k miles. No major repairs. Fuel pump is the original. Replaced 3 cop's, spark plugs and a few fuel filters. We've run motorcraft semi synthetic oil/filters for most of those miles until recently. My mother gave me the car last year and now I run Mobil 1 extended performance in it with Fram ultra filters. Engine is quiet and runs strong, with little valvetrain noise. Recently had to replace front bearing/hub assemblies and half shafts.
I have a 2007 with 145,500

2006, 185,000 miles. We bought it 4 years ago with 153,000 for $3800. Within a day, it was obvious that the reverse band on the tranny was messed up at operating temperature. Bad thing was the PO still had it under rebuilt transmission warranty and could have had it fixed for free prior to the sale, but since I bought it, warranty void (PO moved out of state the day after so I was not able to work with her to get it serviced). Alas, that is the breaks sometimes. I had the tranny completely rebuilt with 3 year warranty for $3000, so it was still a pretty good deal.

Just last week I finished replacing the water pump, hoses, thermostat housing and radiator. The radiator was a *****. Not because it was terribly difficult to replace, but because the parts stores and amazon had the wrong match for 2006. I finally called Spectrum Premium and they gave me the exact match that actually was the exact match (and was available from Amazon). Be aware that you also need a special quick disconnect tool for the tranny cooler lines (the normal quick disconnect tools that I had, which was 4 different sets and types, did not cover the tranny line connects).

Anyway, the Explorer runs strong and has been relatively reliable for my Daughter while going to University and while she is starting her first professional career.

I have a 2007 with 145,500
I would like to know the most a 4.0 has gotten.......I have a Sport Trac 2001 manual 5 speed......replaced the tensioners and lower ball joints, & sway bar links......etc.................It has 196,000 and seem like it could do 300,000 the way it drives .....Do 4.0's, make it to 300,000 often ....????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

over 303,000 I think, daughter drives it now :)

Back