How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 38 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Loving these numbers.

174K on my '98 XLT SOHC. Runs like a champ!

Spotted a '97 SOHC in the junk yard last weekend with 350K miles! Gives me hope mine won't crash and burn anytime soon.

Went off road again today, the 4x4 system worked wonderfully, pulled some mandatory steep grades (as in no other way out, none), never missed a beat. Crazy steep frame twisters.

'99 Explorer Sport. 310k and going strong. Rebuilt the transmission last year at about 285k. Just retired it last week from daily driving. It's my fiance's truck (she's taken really good care of it over the years) and it's time to give it some loving so maybe we can see 500k.

2000 5.0 198,000 mi original

I Just sold my 1st generation with 246k on it and bought a 99 Limited 4x4 with 160k. It's my first foray into the 4wd world so I'm not sure what to expect yet.

About 104k on my '97 Eddie Bauer AWD. Twentieth Anniversary! (But I acquired used at 33k).

I just looked at the odometer on the way into work this morning, it was right at 373,734 miles. Has its issues, but I drive it most days. Pretty sure the transmission has been replaced before I got it as it shifts way to smoothly for that mileage. Engine runs pretty well, but I need to change out a ticky lifter and replace the cats and 02 sensor.
It is a 98 AWD EB with the V8. I've removed the front shaft for the summer, and to rebuild the center yoke (CV shaft was swapped out for the double cardon type before me).

About 104k on my '97 Eddie Bauer AWD. Twentieth Anniversary! (But I acquired used at 33k).
Twentieth anniversary edition?

Twentieth anniversary edition?
Twenty years old ;)

My first 1998 green Mounty is retired with 220k. Surprisingly stock. Was a plow truck for 8 years, and never touched the motor or transmission. Still has a factory wheel bearing up front.

Current 1998 green Mounty has 132k, and will easily see 250k. Entirely rust free desert truck.

Recently turned 300K miles on my 97 EB 5.0. I've owned it since 29K miles; no transmission work; very little engine work. Everything works. It's become my "work truck" so I drive it loaded with my tools almost every day.

I'm amazed to see the low mileage on some of the trucks mentioned here! I can't imagine having a 20 year old vehicle with under 100K miles.

69k actual miles on my 1996 Explorer XL 4.0. Completely stock except for new Sony head unit.

I'm the one with the thread on the haywire power windows. ;)

The Explorer is in near showroom condition. Engine bay and all.

Just passed 123k and going strong.

217,000 no probs. I am the second owner, have complete records from the dealer, ball joints and tie rod ends were done before I got it at 130,000. The usual with radio and info center lights. Did brake's and wheel bearing's last year. Change the oil at around 4000 miles and I also pre oil before start. Rather replace a starter or battery than front and rear chains. I get between 17-20 miles to the gal, gets worse quick if I drive at 70.
Had over 300k on the 1993 Sport we had.

I'm at 267,000 and rolling good! Had to do work on front suspension, ball joints, tie rod ends, and parking brake this year. Have had difficulty with RF window. Motor was replaced because supposedly it was weak. A few months later problem reoccurred, occasionally won't go up from a full down position. Usually takes until next day to get it to go up after many tries. So just not sure what is wrong, although seems electrical to me.

192K, bought it new in 1995. twisted torsion bars, added shackles to rear leafs and swapped to 32" tires on cragar soft 8's. Swing out clutch and rear brake line along with adding headers now. Hope to have it back on road (in dirt) soon.

Just rolled the odometer over on my 01 EB V8. Part of the 200,000+ club now!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

168,000-ish on my 1998 V8 AWD Limited. The biggest problem so far has been the coolant leak from the timing cover. And yes, the rear diff is slowly but surely getting noisier. Perhaps will rebuild it in the winter when there are no gardening chores.

Back