How many miles?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles??

I've got 159K on a '99 5.0 AWD auto,XLT, owned since new, towed a 3700LB boat with it for the first 6 years, High school daughter driving it now, engine, trans. still strong. major replacements; ball joints, cv joints at 100K , fuel pump at 150K, general maintenence on engine and trans.
2005 4.0 XLT 4x4, 41K other then the leaky rearend no problems so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2000 XLS 4wd 5sp 4.0 OHV - 168000 nothing rebuilt, no rust. Mobil 1 since day 1.

202,000 on 97 XLT 4.0 SOHC

timing chain extended warranty performed by ford awhile ago, new lower intake gaskets last winter. transmission rebuilt when torque converter was replaced at about 125k, wish it wasnt, shifts harder and harsh down shift from 2-1, after rebuild mechanic told us it looked fine for a transmission with 125k.

3 balljoints, a bunch of brake pads, few rotors, alternator, thermostat, cheapo shocks, radio, blend door fix, AC accumulator (ice cold air), and a lotta maintenance stuff (belt, air filter, fuel filter, plugs....).

oh, and some critter chewed through the fuel return line on top of the tank, but thats filed under the strange and unlucky repairs.

my 01 sport is about to hit 100,000. no major problems
my 84 b2 has somewhere around 300,000, but motor was rebuilt

last explorer was a 94 that lasted 298,000 miles with cheap oil and still had one original spark plug.

1996 2WD 302 V8
251,000 miles and running strong:salute:

th_IMG_0437.jpg

th_IMG_0436.jpg

Super Snake,
I noticed you are from Palm City, Florida. I am considering buying a 2000 Mountaineer from that very town. I have noticed a lot of corrosion on the underside of the vehicle and also on the aluminum components under the hood. Is that typical of vehicles from that area? Just curious.

Back to the thread, My 97 just turned 178,000 today.

275,x.. miles and not burning a drop of oil. 1998 Explorer XL, 4.0 OHV 4x4, 5r55e.

The tranny needs some vb attention but other than that it runs pretty well. It is making some lifter noise.

awhughes
I would say yes it is typical
I don't think my Explorer is
I'll post some under hood pix of mine later today so you can do a comparison
mine has been garage kept since day one. I have zero body rust.
I'll look mine over for you

awhughes
I took some shots of my engine bay and undercarrage
I have very little corrosion
check it out
hope this helps
th_IMG_1060.jpg

th_IMG_1059.jpg

th_IMG_1058.jpg

th_IMG_1057.jpg

th_IMG_1056.jpg

th_IMG_1055.jpg

th_IMG_1054.jpg

232,000 on my 1997 5.0L AWD XLT. It has the original motor and transmission and still runs very well. I have been running Mobil 1 Synthetic for all of the first 200,000 miles and Amsoil Synthetic for the remaining 32,000 miles. I keep wondering myself when I will be needing a rebuild. So far so good.

My goal is to find a motor and transmission and rebuild both and install them together sometime in the next year. I'd rather do that than wait for the eventual roadside breakdown to happen.

awhughes
I took some shots of my engine bay and undercarrage
I have very little corrosion
check it out
hope this helps
th_IMG_1060.jpg

If I were you I would change the stock idler pulley in that picture. It is like $15. They have a nasty habit of failing and leaving you stranded. It is common to fail for early 2nd gens.

My 2000 Mount just hit 120,000 already needed a tranny re-build. My old 1994 eddie bauer b4 my mount had 210,000 miles on it when i sold it and never needed it.....some of the best damn trucks around

Mine just hit 223,000 miles. Just got it out of the shop for a 4R55E rebuild (broke 2nd gear band) I have the 4.0 in mine. it's needed a new radiator, water pump, head gaskets, heater core, and shocks over the years but not too shabby.

If I were you I would change the stock idler pulley in that picture. It is like $15. They have a nasty habit of failing and leaving you stranded. It is common to fail for early 2nd gens.

Thanks
do you have a part number or recommend a source for replacement?
it has 251K on it now, been good so far, but for $15 why chance it
12-22-2007 10:15 PM

My 00 XLS, 4x4, 4.0, rest is in my sig. 93K and some change, nothing major, knock on wood. Balls joints, ect, regular maint.

192,500 on 1998 5.0 2WD Eddie Bauer

Nothing rebuilt! Did have to finally replace the a/c compressor this past summer, and replace the ball joints on front end. Other than that, regular maintenace you'd expect on a higher mileage vehicle. I look forward to putting another 100k on it :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

couldn't get it out. hard to reach, and i think it was cross threaded by the previous owner or the factory. still ran. not what i would have done, but it wasn't my rig

Back