How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny???? | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

180,000 on mine, with about 18,000 miles of towing a 2500lb trailer. Dealer serviced the trans at 60K and at 120K. Still shifts fine. I am planning on having the trans serviced again after the first of the year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I post 4 years ago on the thread when I had 158k. Now I'm up to 184K and still going strong. However it's up for sale, so the next report will have to come from the new owner.

My original went at 92k miles

140k miles and 12 years before I replaced it. It was exhibiting minor symptoms when I bought it at 85k miles, and managed to keep it happy until this past summer. I might have been able to get away with just replacing parts but for the $1600 cost of a complete, updated transmission it was worth the peace of mind to swap the whole thing out.

120k and the only work was a fluid flush. The tech said that it was probably the best shifting trans he has worked on. I don't pull a trailer but I will say if I need to pass somebody on the highway, 3rd gets a workout lol.

16500 original trans (no lie!)

Last month I sold my '02 Explorer with 206,x.. miles. Transmission was never serviced, not even a fluid change (not that I recommend that).

04 with 180k on factory trans. still wheelin..

'02 EB 4x4, bought new, was daily driven up until about 18 months ago. 218k miles, original engine/trans never been out or repaired. Only service ever done to engine was replace t-stat/housing, spark plugs at 100k intervals, spark plug wires at 150k and then the normal stuff like oil/oil filter, air filter, etc...

We have had to replace some suspension components, nothing major.

Timing chain guides are worn and engine is rattly on startup, but quiets down and still runs/shifts fine.

03 4.6 purchased new. 110,000 mi. Trans oil change at 60,000. Has trailer tow package and has been used a lot for cargo trailer long distance and a 2500 lb boat 5 long distance pulls. Never had any problems other than rear gears when new and under warranty. Replaced brakes at 90,000. Probably best car I have owned ever. :) :)

'04 XLT Sport - Bought new
212,000 on original engine/tranny
Never beat it. Did lots of 2000 lb hauling with it over long hilly trips
Still going strong
One Tranny flush around 100k
Was advised not to touch it again at this age
Great truck
Only major replacements were two front wheel bearings
And a rear diff whine under original warranty
Whining again and now with a ClunknChunk when warm
(It seems odd to me why it would have to roll a few miles to get that pretty loud noise)
Anyway- Got a junkyard diff with 83k $450 -1 year warranty and a set of Detroit rebuilt
CV's $145 off of EBay going in this weekend.

I have a 2005 XLT with 77800 miles and no issues to speak of with the exception of a hard shift once in awhile when I go from drive into reverse. The fluid was flushed at 60,000 miles but other than that no service. I drive 100 and twenty miles a day with all of that being highway miles.

'02 XLS V6 Explorer. 120k miles. haven't had to take the transmission out yet.

-all wheel bearings
-front ball joints twice
-AC compressor now seized
-blend door actuator
-valave cover gasket twice
-rear left window regulator
-oil filter mount gasket
-passenger window regulator just went out- stuck a C-clamp on the track for now until i can get around to replacing the regulator assembly.
-5R55W started slipping at 100k, replace external piston/servos with the modified type with o-rings on the shafts and fine ever since.

Just wanted to throw out the transmission fix I did here:
http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com
/\fix working good for 20k miles now.

158K And second that Mobil 1----but--- when you stop firmly, there is a delay then surge slam.

Also happens - that is step on gas and no forward movement for a few seconds then slam bam.

Is this the $400 servo valve or?

junked the explorer at 255 no rebuild all original...

05 Mountaineer 4.6 - 131k and still going strong.

Just broke 200k. Though im always the slowest off the light half of my miles have been pulling a 6x12 cargo trailer. In fact i wore that one out and bought a bigger one with a 5k axle. At 190k. I moved a forklift 50miles pretty sure i exceeded the towing limit. Was told by a transmission tech not to change the fuild.

I have just over 148,000 miles on mine.
I'm not the first owner, but as far as I know it still has the original transmission.
In the past year I had to put in a brand new engine and a brand new rear differential.

Well, question. Does it still qualify as the original transmission if it was recently rebuilt?

If so, mine went 165K miles and then had to have it serviced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 199.790 miles on my tranny and have never had the fluid replaced or filter changed. It might go out tomorrow but I can't complain if it does. I do not know why everyone is having so many problems unless it is because they change their fluid.

I posted this last year and now i have 225,212 miles on my tranny. I still have not had any problems and i still have not changed the fluid or filter. I still say if you change your fluid you are going to have problems.

Back